Options

Depth of Powershell Questions on 70-410 Exam?

jbordingjbording Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, first time poster here! I was wondering if anyone could tell me (without breaking Microsoft Non-disclosures) how in-depth the Powershell is in the 70-410 Exam. Like do they expect you to know in detail the exact commands with all the parameters associated with each command or do they want you to just know the general command to use in a certain situation.
For instance, something like this:

"You need to create a new Generation 2 Virtual Machine named VM1 on Server Hyper-V-1. What do you do to accomplish this task?"
Are they looking for something along the lines of just New-VM -name VM1 or are they going to want something more in-depth such as New-VM -name VM1 -Path C:\VMs -Generation 2 -VHDPath C:\Vhds\vhd1.vhdx -MemoryStartupBytes 1024MB...

Or something like "What command would you use to create a new user in Active Directory?"
Would it be just simply New-ADUser or would they want New-ADUser -samaccountname -jdoe -Password (ConvertTo-SecureString -asplaintext Passw0rd -force) -path "ou=temporary,ou=new users,dc=test,dc=com"?

Basically, what I'm asking is - Is it enough to only know what each command does or should I know all the nitty gritty details about each command? I know my examples are weird and may not have used the correct syntax but hopefully you can give me some advice on this. I've been studying for this exam for a few months and feel like I've got a good grasp on all of the content but I've read that there's a TON of Powershell on this exam and that's where I think I'll have the most trouble. Thanks in advance for your help!

-James

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its been awhile since I took that exam, but pretty certain you will have to know more than just basic powershell. In your examples you gave the more indepth ones are what you are probably going to need to know. But if not mistaken the exam is pretty much all multiple choice so you'll have examples to choose from and won't have remember every little detail.
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This buggs me as well. From what I understand, you don't need to know complex cmdlets.
    But they are sneaky and try to confuse you with similar answers where only a letter is different.
    Like install-windowsfeature server-gui-shell or
    install-windowsfeatures server-gui-shell

Hopefully I won't get complex powershell questions. I will study powershell in more depth, but not now. I don't think I need it for 410
  • Options
    tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The powershell questions that stumped me asked for a command for a certain action and gave you 3 fields to fill out. Each field had about 4 options, so "Command-Object -Switch."
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • Options
    Thanks guys. This has been worrying me like crazy as I prepare for the exam. I know admins who have worked in the field for years and used Powershell and Command Line extensively for their jobs and even they admit they have to look up commands all the time. So I think it's a little strange Microsoft is so strict about them. Does anyone have experience with the Transcender exams for this one? I've used them for Comptia exams and found them helpful but no idea with the MS ones
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just bought the "70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 Microsoft Official Practice Test" available for 30 days.
    Didn't activate it though. I'm guessing it's all right, since it's sold by Microsoft and it says Official on it.
    And it has the same price as the one from Transcender.

Once i'll activate it, i'll post some feedback. Not sure if it's worth 100 bucks though. I got it with a 4 retry pack + Exam voucher. And it's cheaper in Romania.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It was not just PowerShell. It was CLI, period. If I remember correctly there was some emphasis on Server Core, and switching to and back from the GUI.
  • Options
    bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    I agree the level of CLI that Microsoft has been bringing on to the exams is proportional with how they want to position the server product. Less GUI for tasks and more CLI. I just finished reading the Server 2016 book and it's all CLI/Powershell http://amzn.to/1P0O4Uw The idea is working towards the future with server core, nano server and Azure: CLI is how everything will be managed. They are taking a page out of linux and using it for their products. Just my thoughts, but it seems that is where the industry is going.

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • Options
    Right. The GUI still has a place from a client admin machine, but the Server OS doesn't really need to be as GUI-driven.
  • Options
    As someone who has never really worked much with the CLI before I'm actually really enjoying working with it. I'm just hoping that since most of the test is multiple choice it won't be TOO difficult to figure out the correct Powershell or Command Prompt answer they're looking for. It seems like there are several ways to do the same thing with Powershell such as Enable-VMResourceMetering -VMName "Server1" or you could also use Get-VM -VMName "Server 1" | Enable-VMResourceMetering. I'm just hoping the answer choices will be obvious and they're not going to include both options in the answer list but only consider one of them correct since they both work. It's been about 7 years since I've taken an MS exam so I'm not sure what to expect.
  • Options
    As with any Microsoft exam. Pick the "best" answer.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is a reason you they offer you 5 attempts for $200... Lots of people fail it!
  • Options
    Where do you get the 5 attempts for $200?
  • Options
    Where do you buy the 5 attempts for $200?
  • Options
    stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    You can always check here: Microsoft Exam Vouchers
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]