410 questions and server core?

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, i have a few questions regarding the 410 exam regarding server core and Powershell. My sever 2012 network at the moment has 1 domain with 3 server 2012 machines, one GUI (physical machine), Core in hyper V, and one more GUI that will be another forest in a trust with my original domain in hyper-v, and 2 W8 clients with one each going in different forests.

Basically i wanted to know what types of roles should i go for and install on the core machine! The core machine will correspond to the physical 2012 machine in the same domain and the other GUI will be in another forest. My physical machine will have most features already installed on it, what should i also put on the core machine that is the most practical and makes the most sense for exam purposes and just in general?

Regarding Powershell, obviously there are thousands of commands out there, i'm hoping you dont have to remember all of them on the fly haha, but i appreciate that you have to know a few also! What are some of the main areas regarding Powershell commands that i should be looking to know the most?

Thanks

Comments

• poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Server Core portion MOSTLY covers installing and configuring a bare-metal server using Server Core. It is interested in how do you configure an IP, rename the computer, enable windows updates, enable remoting, join the computer to a domain, etc. That is the Server Core portion of it.

For any given topic, you should at least practice some with the cmdlets associated with the objectives for that topic. For example if the topic "Deploy and Configure Core Network Services" and the objective is "Deploy and Configure DNS" you should look at anything associated with that objective and try to understand how to do it in Powershell and any relevant compiled commands (e.g. dnscmd). Basically if it is listed on the exam's Skills Measured section and you can find Powershell commands related to it, you need to at least know what they are and study the snippets on the Powershell command's Technet page.

Link to Skills Measured for 70-410: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-410.aspx
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT