Options

Jr. Linux Administrator Interview

$bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
Not even sure how I called for this but I got an interview this Friday. My Linux knowledge is the use of Ubuntu and CentOS on and off since August, that is it. It is mentioned in my cover-letter that I am new to IT and have very little Linux background so they knew that before calling me (assuming they read my cover letter).

Job Description
YOU SHOULD ALREADY HAVE A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE FOLLOWING:

• Linux OS fundamentals
• Basic knowledge of how the Internet works, including DNS & Email at the server level
• Highly-focused attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively over phone and email
• Experience with computer hardware
• Ability to work flexible shifts
• Comfort in working with adult-oriented websites

YOU WILL BE TAUGHT TO DO THE FOLLOWING SO WELL YOU COULD DO IT IN YOUR SLEEP:

• Provide best-in-class customer support in response to our customer's requests and work orders.
• Fully manage the installation, configuration and troubleshooting of all aspects of Linux servers
• Install and configure web servers using Apache and MySQL as well as other types of web server software
• Install and configure customer scripts and programs
• Troubleshoot and resolve server system, hardware and Linux software problems.
• Maintain 100% customer satisfaction through all available means.

Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck, Let us know how it turns out.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    How good are you with the command line? Being a linux sys admin means using the shell, not the GUI.

Do you know the FHS? AKA, how the general linux OS is outlined in it's directory structure? You'll need to have a good idea of what files/logs/configs/binaries are located where. Research Apache's httpd.conf, where it normally lives, and how to edit using vim.

Speaking of vi/m...do you know the basics? How to edit a file, move around, and save? The keyboard shortcuts can get pretty fancy with such a "basic" editor.

Do you know how to stop/start services?

Do you know the following commands?
    • cd
    • mkdir
    • touch
    • less
    • more
    • cat
    • grep
    • awk
    • sed
    • cut
    • find
    • uname
    • (etc)
    As the ad states, do you understand DNS? Look up BIND and be able to speak on the basics.

I haven't done any nix sys admin'ing in a few years now so it's starting to leave me...but, the above is a good start. You need to get comfortable in the shell, learn bash scripting, understand how the OS is laid out, and the basics to sys admin'ing.
  • Options
    Thanks. I put CentOS and Ubuntu on VB to learn the command line so I am familiar with about 65% of what you mentioned. Will def be digging into BIND tomorrow and vi/m.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Site maybe dated, however they have Linux interview questions here which may help.

GoLinuxHub
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    CBT nuggets have a video series called "real world linux" implementation videos. It will turn you into a Linux guru overnight.

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/linux-in-the-real-world

Good Luck.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I will be looking into all of this.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    How did the interview go?

I also forgot to mention...the 'man' command should be your best friend!