Options

Two year degree vs four year degree.

john_mirandajohn_miranda Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Not sure if my following question has been answered here before, I had no luck finding it, so I'll ask for your opinions/info again.

When I see job postings requiring an Associate's degree I find myself confused as to if I meet that requirement or not, I'll explain. I am currently a senior at a 4 year university, so I've had at least 3 years of college work. An Associate's degree tends to be a 2 year degree so technically I would have had an Associate's degree had I opted for that path, however, by technicality I don't have an Associate's degree.

My question is, does that mean that I don't meet that requirement, even though I'll have a 4 year degree shortly?

If so, an Associate's degree is worth that much more than 3-4 years at a University?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are companies that require employees to have a degree and won't even look at you until you have one. Doesn't even have to be in the field your applying for... It is just their policy.

You haven't completed one yet, just because you are going for a more advance degree still doesn't mean you have a lesser one. If having a degree, even just an associate degree, is a strict requirement to that company than no, you would not meet their qualifications.

If it isn't a strict requirement then I'm assuming you would be just fine.

Short answer: It would really depend on the company's policy in my opinion.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree. No degree =no degree. That being said, i have heard of many with no degree or an Associates degree landing jobs that specifically said they required a Bachelors. Depends on the company. I still believe that experience trumps a degree but often the degree is needed to get your foot in the door. If you can get past the resume screening and WOW them at your interview who knows??? Won't hurt to try.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An Associates Degree is a completed degree, usually 2 years (no disrespect to those who take longer because people work and go to school and that is expected) Bachelors Degree is a completed degree usually takes 4 years. That being said, even though you are are almost done with your Bachelors Degree, you don't have an Associates or Bachelors degree from what you stated so far. It should not stop you from applying to any job that you want to apply to.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have gotten jobs where it says either Bachelors Degree or 10 years experience (I have a associates).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The associate's would require different coursework; otherwise, you'd automatically have been awarded one at your two year mark in your current program. If you see jobs that require a two year degree and you're well on your way to a four year degree, just list your Bachelor's with the anticipated grad date. If your GPA is good, throw that on as well because why not. The worst they can say is no.
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers guys!

I always thought a Bachelor's degree had better course work and reputation than an Associate's degree, so in my mind it kind of made sense that someone in their last 2 years on a 4 year degree would have the same school knowledge as someone with a 2 year degree because I've known you could continue to a University with an Associate's and have 2 more years of work.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bachelors degree is pretty much the industry standard any more. However getting an Associates opens some entry level doors to help build experience and pay for the Bachelors degree. That is what I did. I got my AAS in 1998 and then went to work for Rockwell making almost 60K a year then used them to get my Bachelors and build my career. I also have worked at two yr and four colleges as a Dean and the Associates can help, but eventually you are going to need the Bachelors. So I said all this to say this get the Associates work for the Bachelors.
  • Options
    GhengisTGhengisT Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I view job descriptions that specify Bachelors or equivalent experience, it generally applies to the basic foundation of comprehension, reading, and arithmetic. Companies need competent employees, and although a potential employee may possess a CCNP or CCIE certification, that alone does not signify that he/she can work in an organized, unsupervised manner. There are numerous other (basic) skills that coincide with the job you might be hired to do, such as lead team meetings, organize projects, supervise other technicians, etc.
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GhengisT wrote: »
    When I view job descriptions that specify Bachelors or equivalent experience, it generally applies to the basic foundation of comprehension, reading, and arithmetic. Companies need competent employees, and although a potential employee may possess a CCNP or CCIE certification, that alone does not signify that he/she can work in an organized, unsupervised manner. There are numerous other (basic) skills that coincide with the job you might be hired to do, such as lead team meetings, organize projects, supervise other technicians, etc.

Nothing can guarantee any of that. The individual can have many reasons to be competent or not. But yeah, apply for anything you want, its up to the company whether you make their cut.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Nothing can guarantee any of that. The individual can have many reasons to be competent or not. But yeah, apply for anything you want, its up to the company whether you make their cut.

I beg to differ on that . If you have an MBA or MS from a State school that is highly ranked, I would say that is a guarantee. We are not talking about monte carlo simulation analysis... just basic skills. The GMAT is the basic skills grantee if required, and the fact you have to work in a group and keep a 3.0 GPA.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Stop worrying so much about those "requirements" and just apply. I've never met the degree and years of experience "required" for every job I've held.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Apply to the jobs even if you dont meet the requirements. Worse they can say is no.

I have 2 associates degrees (when I graduated they asked which I wanted. So I said both) and I haven't had an issue with getting a job that wants a Bachelors.

I wouldn't say the coursework is better but it just shows an accomplishment that you are dedicated to. Most places those classes you take wont prep you for the real world.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No_Nerd wrote: »
    I beg to differ on that . If you have an MBA or MS from a State school that is highly ranked, I would say that is a guarantee. We are not talking about monte carlo simulation analysis... just basic skills. The GMAT is the basic skills grantee if required, and the fact you have to work in a group and keep a 3.0 GPA.

I agree with you.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I've been in IT for 15 years and every job I've landed listed a BS as a requirement, although I only hold an AAS.

Apply, over-reach, and sell yourself when you get the interview. I realize some companies may have a strict requirement, but I think they're the exception rather than the rule. I hit 6 figures with my AAS by 29 years old and am still climbing the ladder. Don't let job descriptions hold you down.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Think of a 2 year degree like this...take the primary technical classes you would have in a 4 year degree and that's it. The goal is for somebody to quickly be a productive member of an organization with the technical knowledge they need to hit the ground running. Compare this to your four year degree, where you get a lot of soft skill work and other courses to make you a well rounded student. The goal is still to make you able to hit the ground running after a 4 year degree but the goal is not simply about your field...it's about developing the soft skills needed to excel your career. Also, generally a 4 year degree is more difficult than a 2 year degree.
  • Options
    ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm a junior in college and I've already met the requirements for the Associates, although I can't actually get the degree because I am in the Bachelors program. I still look for jobs that require an Associates, but in my resume, I put that I am expected to have my Bachelors and list how many credits I have completed so far.
    2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course
  • Options
    mo225mo225 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    4 year looks better on a resume in my opinion.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Russ5813 wrote: »
    The associate's would require different coursework; otherwise, you'd automatically have been awarded one at your two year mark in your current program. If you see jobs that require a two year degree and you're well on your way to a four year degree, just list your Bachelor's with the anticipated grad date. If your GPA is good, throw that on as well because why not. The worst they can say is no.

*Buzzer* Not true at any school I have attended. You have to have it listed as your program and apply for "graduation" to get the degree. Was like that for my undergrad where they offered an AS that I completed rather early on and in my grad where I would have had 2 different graduate certificates on the way to my MS. Now, this may be true at some schools, but likely not most.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    As others have said, apply anyway. And yes, many companies require a degree (quite a few DoD contracts) but I think that is for more management-level positions. Most highly technical roles I see list an associates, maybe a BS, and EXPERIENCE - that is the key.

On an unrelated note, I think a good way to think about getting a degree is it shows the employer that you have the desire to learn and succeed. You want to be successful and you are taking the time to do it.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    mo225 wrote: »
    4 year looks better on a resume in my opinion.

So is a Bachelor's still more competitive than an Associate's? From what some of you guys are saying, it sounds like it doesn't matter what you have as long as the degree check box is checked (in regards to only the IT field).
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    It is all a sign of dedication. That is all it means.
    Yes a 4 will always look better than a 2 to HR but a 2 looks better than nothing.