Options

Do relocation packages still exist?

RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
When I started my (post-college/fulltime) career, I took a sysadmin job 1,000 miles away sight unseen. No relocation package was offered, but I didn't ask either.

Fast forward 7 years, I'm applying for a top/principal sysadmin role 1,000 miles away back to my origin. This is a very large company and a 6-figure job. Would it be reasonable to think that they might offer some type of relocation package if I were to be offered the job? Assuming there aren't any equally qualified candidates locally and they really think I'm a good fit.

Does this still exist? Or, should I plank on having to handle this myself? I know relocation packages were a thing in the past, just not so sure if they're offered anymore...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes it definitely still exists.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It doesn't hurt to ask Human Resources..especially if you are 1,000 miles away!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    When you get into more senior roles, it's much easier to negotiate add-ons/extra benefits, like a sign-on bonus, yearly bonus, and/or relocation assistance.
  • Options
    lazyjklazyjk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They do - and not just for higher level positions (at least at my employer). I got 1 months salary cash + full service (packing of house included) moving from a neighboring state. TBH, the included packing service was worth it on its own. They packed up and loaded my whole town home in a single morning!

On a similar note, the company I left was closing our location but was offering $10,000 relocation assistance to move to one of the other offices.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others have said, they still exist. Our company still offers it.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management