Options

short term/temp IT jobs

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
Is there such a thing as a 90 day no strings attached IT jobs. I see contract to hire jobs that are 90 days, but recruiters seem turned off when I tell them I'm not looking to stay past 90 days. I'm not seeing much on the job boards in this respect either.

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My guess would be after all the effort and paperwork involved, it's really not worth it to recruiters to hire someone for such a short time period. The typical profit margin for staffing agencies is around 5%, 10% at the most. If your earning $30 a hour for a contract position, that means the staffing agency is only making profit $1.50 after expenses, around $700 after 90 days. Really not worth the trouble to them. Now if your hired full time by the client, they make a nice profit, anywhere from 35 to 50% of your annual salary, that could equal a nice 30k payday for them. If your a temp employee for years, they could earn a steady income off of you, almost 3 grand a year. Either way they are not interested finding you a short term gig, they are in business to make MONEY.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    mo225mo225 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im trying to find some myself
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mo225 wrote: »
    im trying to find some myself

Funny, I'm finding the opposite. Recruiters thinking I'm nuts wanting to go from a full time job into a contract to hire situation. Their giving me the impression that the "hire" part isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Guess it depends on your market area. I get at least 3-4 emails a week for 60-90 day project positions here in Minneapolis. Also see a lot of them show up on Craigslist as well.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I ended up finding, applying, and getting hired for a temporary position. It pays 1$/hour less than my previous position, but has a stable work schedule and I'll get a solid 40 hours/week. I'll be providing phone support. Not as technical as I would like it to be, but still within the IT realm. I figure at the very least it will be 3-months of customer facing "customer service" and experience with ticketing systems which will help my resume a tiny bit.

I think best bet for finding temp jobs is using indeed and checking the "temporary" checkbox. There will still be some contract to hire stuff that filters through, but it's the best way I have found to search for the short term positions.

Edit: Probably worth mentioning the position was direct with the company and not through a hiring agency. What TechGromIt said above makes a lot of sense.