Options

Do *you* accept the counter offer?

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
Open question to everyone but mainly those who have been dissatisfied with their current role, gone and got an offer somewhere else only to be counter-offered by their current employer and decided to stay?

The reason I ask the question is that my employer is notorious for not paying good wages, especially for those who have "promoted" away from service desk roles and are in 2nd line roles. I went a slightly different route as I came from essentially a design/implementation role and for that I came from outside on half decent wages anyway.

Some people in my team (rightly/wrongly) have gone away and had interviews because they were unhappy, only for the company to match those offers. In my eyes, it would be too late for them to counter offer - and I, personally, would not accept. The reason I am looking for a role elsewhere is not purely based on financial reasons - there could be a myriad. It's like saying I'm willing to put up with all the same crap because they happen to be paying me more.

Now, I am in a slightly different position presently. I've earned my CCIE in the last 12 months, and for personal reasons I've been more than happy to stay in the role that I am in. I work shift rotations so get a very decent amount of night time to study. Therefore while my personal situation is ongoing I am (trying) to study for CCIE#2 as some of you may have been reading in the CCIE forum. That's another story in itself.

So, back to the original question - have you done it? And why?

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've never accepted a counter offer, though to be fair I've only had one involving hard cash in my 17yrs in IT. Other times it was promises for more training/development opportunities etc. The cash offer was for a good £10k and I was valued quite highly there but ongoing conditions and a lack of senior management buy in to help sort a very tricky customer never materialised. Several good folk left due to that, and no amount of money was worth another 18 mths of late nights, weekends and constant escalations.

I know a couple of people who have initially accepted a counter offer, but left 3-6 months later anyway.

I've never been a fan of the counter offer myself. I would always feel on the back foot if I accepted one so I never will. If you feel undervalued, rather than looking elsewhere I've had good conversations with my bosses in the past asking for more money after demonstrating my skills etc and had some success that way, though I've always gained much more (money/development) by moving companies. I would suggest that money is only part of the problem and if looking elsewhere it's likely to be one of several factors.

'Never go back' icon_wink.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not but the only time it could have come up was my previous job. They asked what can we do to keep you to stay and I told them that they'd need to at least match what my new job is (and some other stuff). They asked how much and I said it was about a 45-50% pay increase and they just said there's no way we can even get close to that. Siyonara guys! :D

It'd probably take a special sort of circumstances for me to accept a counter. Just a pay match wouldn't cut it.
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I think staying back is hard. Especially when the bosses start behaving like children.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I accepted counter-offer once, played out well for me. I stayed with that company for another two years then I left but I continued to support them on a contract basis part-time.

They were underpaying me seriously as well, the counter-offer almost doubled my salary at the time.
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I have never been in this position. But when I start looking at other jobs, that tells me it is time to be done at my current position. You have your CCIE, find a company you are happy at AND pays wages you are happy with. There is a reason you wanted to leave in the first place. If they would not give you higher wages until you were going to leave, things probably won't change in the future.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If I am unhappy with some aspect of the job (hours, pay, etc) to the point I am seeking a new position, I'm not looking back, not accepting the cuonter offer.
    If I am happy in a job, but someone comes along and offers me a bunch more money and current boss wants to make a counteroffer, I'd probably take it. Remember though that taking a counter offer can leave bad feelings when you stay.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I read an article/survey a few days ago on linkedIn that said, 90% of the people that accept a counter offer leave within the next 18 months! The counter offer can be useful tool to increase your base salary but it's one those double edge swords were you don't know how co-workers or management will perceive you after the counter offer. Myself, I was offered a counter offer but did not take it.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never have. The reasons for leaving have never been primarily financial, so they would never be affected by a counter offer.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To accept a counteroffer for me is a sin. Moreover, I wont even entertain that idea. Once i call my manager into a room to say i'm leaving, believe me its a one way conversation. he/she can speak but i wont listen!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    personally, I don't accept counters...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    There have been several good threads here about this. As others said, I do not believe in counteroffers and can say with a high degree of confidence that I will never consider one. If I announce I am resigning, it's because I exhausted all options to get whatever I was looking for, let it be money, responsibilities, a specific role, etc. Since it didn't happen, I move on. The time to talk is over.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My advice is never to do it, as echoed by so many. However, I have accepted a counter offer one time. I put in my notice somewhat reluctantly to move to a development job that I wasn't very sure about but paid significantly better. My employer asked for me to stay and matched the amount without being provided the numbers. I stayed on for nearly two years afterwards. In retrospect, I still know it was the right thing to do given the circumstances.

While I doubt I will ever accept another counter offer in the future, I can't rule it out because the circumstances dictate the actions... and I can only know how I will act based on the knowledge at the time. That being said, I don't intend to be in a similar situation in the future that would cause me to do that.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One strategy is to accept the counter offer and raise you salary. Stay with the company for awhile longer and look for another new job and use the higher salary at the current company to justify even more at the next. Good way to build your salary quick.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    gorebrush wrote: »
    The reason I ask the question is that my employer is notorious for not paying good wages

Not only no, but hell no in this circumstance.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in this position 7 months ago. My employer at the time paid me at market average, but another organization came in at almost double what I was currently making and the role was 100% remote. When I turned in my resignation our director matched my offer. I decided not to take it because money wasn't the only reason I was leaving. Sometimes you need a new experience and the opportunity to do something that you're not 100% sure you can do.

Makes you wonder though, I asked for a promotion a few weeks back because I was a major component in designing and leading a security program through a number of project milestones. There wasn't "enough money" in the budget at that time, but now magically the money showed up when they saw I was serious about leaving.

Generally, if you're looking to leave it's more than money. If it gets to the point were you accept the offer then I say take it and don't look back.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    broli720 wrote: »

Makes you wonder though, I asked for a promotion a few weeks back because I was a major component in designing and leading a security program through a number of project milestones. There wasn't "enough money" in the budget at that time, but now magically the money showed up when they saw I was serious about leaving.

Yes, a resignation letter normally triggers HR/Finance to sprinkle fairy dust and find money where there was none.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have accepted a counter offer and it had worked out well for me financially and for my career.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    If I announce I am resigning, it's because I exhausted all options to get whatever I was looking for, let it be money, responsibilities, a specific role, etc. Since it didn't happen, I move on. The time to talk is over.

I love what you said, that is exactly how it is.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was in this position 6 months ago. I turned in my resignation and they offered me more money to stay. I said no and left the company. The company I left them for turned out to be more a terrible position at a law firm in which I was gone by Dec. Came to the new company and realized what I'm doing is not really true IT. My old boss contacted me and asked me was I interested in coming back as the new guy didn't work out. Went for an interview a week and half ago and got the news Friday that the CEO approved my rehire. I said this to say that the grass is not always greener on the other side. I've been w/ 2 companies since I left my last gig and haven't even done half of what I used to do and haven't learned anything new at all. Never say never and different strokes for different folks applies here.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depend of several factors:

If you are using the situation to get a salary increase the accept it, that was your goal.

If you are trying to leave the company because the environment was not good then if you accept it you stick with the same problem you tried to run away, do not accept it

If you are trying to leave the company because you want to improve your skills, career change, etc, etc, Then do not accept it, otherwise you put a barrier in front of you.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't image I ever would. One's reason for leaving should never be strictly financial.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can't image I ever would. One's reason for leaving should never be strictly financial.

Thee best advice. This was the only reason I left where I'm going back to.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I haven't ever but I know many people who have.

Here is what one told me and he has a good point:

* If you are leaving for multiple reasons. Work too much, Job hours are too long, Miserable, Etc Then NO do not accept the counter offer. That wont change if you accept the counter offer it will all still be there.

* If you are leaving because of money and that is the primary reason and they come back with the money you want then yes I would consider staying.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

If you could make twice as much, doing the exact same work, some where else you wouldn't leave?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you could make twice as much, doing the exact same work, some where else you wouldn't leave?

That is my thought. I work for money, period. Now I have preferences, but it is about the money.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options

No, I would be miserable and hunting for a new role soon after if I did. I too am in the same boat as many others here. I am beginning to plateau where I am within my current role and career advancement within the organization is looking hopeful at best. What I do now is becoming boring so I would hate to be doing exactly the same thing for another company even for double the pay. Also, there are other factors about my daily interactions at work I am less than excited to maintain for the too much longer so this will have me hunting sooner rather than later

For my next role... I am hopeful to have a large learning curve in front of me. I seek the challenge and desire to learn and grow when I am hunting for new roles. I've actually to-date turned down two roles within my current company for 20-30% more pay just because I knew I would be miserable doing those jobs as they don't excite my passions. I will eventually leave and when I do money will be a factor as it is with any but won't be what primarily drives my decisions . I've always said to myself and have expressed to other colleagues and friends: "Never chase the job just for the $$$, do what makes you happy"...Been there...done that... and will never again.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    That is my thought. I work for money, period. Now I have preferences, but it is about the money.

I am a strong believer if you do what you love the money comes easy.
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am a strong believer if you do what you love the money comes easy.

This.

On the other hand, in the world of government contracts, my experience has been that the counter offer can be crucial tactic for renegotiating a contract that you are on if you like most other aspect of the job besides the compensation.

At the end of the day though, I wouldn't trade my happiness for an extra 10%.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I guess it depends where your at. I'm still at a job I like and I'm learning more all the time. If another company offered me the exact same role but with double the salary. I'd drop my current job like a bad habit.
  • Options
    I guess it depends where your at. I'm still at a job I like and I'm learning more all the time. If another company offered me the exact same role but with double the salary. I'd drop my current job like a bad habit.

I don't blame ya. I would too if I were you. The idea is relative to the person.

For me though I've been in Network Operations 3.5 years. I have major improvements to be made in the same geometry of what is considered network ops, however with my particular role I am beginning to reach the finish line. I would only accept another network ops position if it were offering something along the lines of a next tier support where I would be dealing with much higher level thinking type stuff. However I really like the idea of getting into a design oriented role as my next desirable position.