Options

Question for anyone who has transferred to WGU with an A.S. degree

I've been eyeing WGU up for a while now and I'm seriously considering the B.S. in IT Security later this year. Currently I have an A.S in IT as well as the A+, Network+, Security+, and CCNA (hopefully the VCP and MCSA 2012 by then also). After looking at the classes I feel like between my degree and certs I should be able to transfer with a fair amount of credits. According to the site, WGU doesn't tell you how many will transfer with until after you register...

So I'm curious if anyone was in a similar boat as me when they went to WGU. If so, roughly how many credits (or I guess they're called CUs over there) got transferred and what you were left with? If it works out the way I'm thinking it should (based on classes required and what I've already taken), I could knock out my B.S. in a year.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From speaking to WGU in the past they do not transfer credits from other colleges on the graduate degree side. Your certs count for courses though however. I was applying to the MS program and I had some credits that I thought should have went over. They stated they would not because they are an experiential learning college. Which is the correct by accreditation standards. Not sure on the undergraduate though. Also a heads up if you can transfer credits into WGU which I am pretty sure they are only going to allow you to transfer a percentage of the degree. Usually it is like no more than 50% of the degree or something along those lines depending on accreditation.
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I transferred in with those same certs & an MCSA & MCITP for server 2008 and Windows 7. Between those and other transferred credits I only had 12 classes or so. So depending on what general ed. you can transfer in, a year is feasible.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I find that a little absurd they wouldn't transfer credits from other colleges. A counselor at the B&M college I went to the degrees were fully transferable, hence why it's better to finish a degree and transfer rather than transfer with 80% or so of the credits needed. Maybe she was talking about an A.A. instead of an A.S., or I'm completely wrong. Either way, that's still odd to me.

If I could transfer in with 12-15 classes to knock out that'd be perfect. After reading over the required classes, I just can't imagine they're going to make me do all that stuff over again unless they're just trying to squeeze more money out of me. The biggest issue is that it's such a big commitment and I want to be sure I know what I'm getting myself into.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They don't transfer in prior college for graduate school. As an undergrad, I transferred in most of my gen ed classes from prior college. English, algebra, ethics, communication, etc. They also accepted my Microsoft and CompTIA transcripts.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From speaking to WGU in the past they do not transfer credits from other colleges on the graduate degree side.
    I find that a little absurd they wouldn't transfer credits from other colleges.

I think you need to reread that statement again and actually go to WGU's page: Transferring Credit to WGU | WGU Transcripts | Western Governors University Online
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My wife transferred in a (near) associate's degree, plus the A+, Sec+ and her 2 MCSA's, and got somewhere in the range of 70 credits knocked off.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Woops, my bad! I confused graduate with undergraduate.
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started with an AA Degree and that satisfied the requirements of 72 CU's in my program (BSIT-Software Emphasis). This program doesn't exist anymore for new students (replaced by Software Development). I did not have any certs before I started WGU. Now I have the Net+ Sec+ Project+ and about to take CIW Javascript (useless i know lol). I didn't have to take the A+ tests because of the degree. Your degree and certs will definitely save you a lot of time on completing the BS and if you work fast you can probably get it done in one term.
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your A.S in IT should knock out your pre-requisites, your ccna will cover the 2 interconnecting devices classes (and possibly the Networks course as well), the A+ will cover the IT foundations and Applications classes, the Network+ covers the Network and security Foundations course, the Security+ covers the network and security applications course. Other courses can be covered by your A.S. IT as long as the course is within 5 years. You are probably looking at around 13 classes or 49 credits to complete, you will still have to pick up the project+, CCNA:Security and either MCSA Windows 8 ,10 or Linux+ depending on the Operating Systems cert requirement at the time. http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_SECU.pdf
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am starting in July, had some college previously and CISSP certification, (all my MS and CompTIA are past the 5 year mark)so only got 27 credits knocked off. I expect that given my background, I should be able to test out of a lot of stuff the first semester there. I start in July and will be completing the BSIT- Security degree
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    Gamesta400Gamesta400 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My AS degree in Business Management transferred in for like 36 credits as I recall. Knocked out all the general ed classes.
  • Options
    Good stuff! Thanks everyone for the advice and information. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I've decided to go VCP -> MCSA -> B.S. degree. Hopefully I can knock the certs out by late July or early August and start the B.S. soon after.

Thanks again!