Options

Udemy pricing change - all courses $20 to $50

twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
Udemy is changing their pricing model.
All courses will be $20 to $50.
no more coupon specials.

i see good and bad. I think some instructors will pull out.
i've seen at least one close his classes to new students.

others are staying and say they are developing new courses.

what does everyone else think? Or observed?

https://support.udemy.com/customer/portal/articles/2348737-simplifying-udemy’s-pricing-and-promotions-student-faqs

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Saw that earlier when I was looking for more videos on a topic. Pretty sure I won't be using them anymore. Can get a lot decent videos on YouTube.

Couple videos I saw were like 1 hour long for $40... Yea that ain't happening
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think the "no more coupon specials" part is accurate. They said they still will have them, with a max of 50% off. Some of the courses were hundreds of dollars before so they'd have a 90%+ off coupon to bring it down to 10-20. Now the same course might be 20-40 dollars, with a 50% off coupon to bring it to $10-20.

I hope i'm not giving them too much credit, but I'd like to believe they'll use stats and see that if people only buy when courses are around $20, they aren't only going to offer them at $50 going forward.

With that said, I have a number of very good courses from there that I picked up for a song, can't complain. I like that you can take a few minute preview of the video, as some of the courses have very difficult to understand accents, which makes me a lot less likely to actually watch them if I know I'm going to struggle the whole time.