Options

Looking to get into help desk / tech support

DarkweldDarkweld Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been gathering a lot of information over the past few days and reviewing other resumes that get sent through here looking to get into help desk/IT. I am 24 years old and have made some mistakes in my life and ended me up at a dead-end job just working to work. I have since gotten the A+ and Network+ upon reading from multiple sources (including here, so thank you for the motivation!) that they will help me get into an entry level job in help desk/ tech support and if I apply myself I can work my way up. I have been going back to college with a renewed focus and recently got straight A's for the first time in my life last semester. My 5 year plan involves finishing my A.A next semester (this fall I will have enough credits) and getting a bachelors degree in something I.T. related (was thinking Management Information Systems, there's a good university in my area with a good program).

I have attached the resume here for viewing. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2di-Nxl2OCBbEJOQzZuMS02Skk/view?usp=sharing

I also had a question or two.

A lot of the companies in my area are asking for high levels of experience and a bachelors degree on top of 100 other things. Should I still apply to these even though it seems out of my reach? They are still listed as tier 1 help desk. I've heard that HR tries to scare people away with lower confidence into not applying.

I work during the night and sleep during the day. Will it be a problem if I am not able to answer the phone right when they call? I sleep from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and I understand this conflicts with business hours. I was thinking I could call the next day before I went to bed.

Comments

• Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    I wish you the best. I know you'll get that job you've been looking for and so deserve.
  • Options
    DarkweldDarkweld Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I meant to ask to get my resume reviewed. I just thought about it. Is my resume ready to send? Or are there changes I should make to it. That was supposed to be the main point of this thread, actually. Whoops. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I can review your resume once I get to a PC (few hrs) but wanted to answer a few questions.

Yes apply. Apply apply apply apply apply. I don't care if they say they want a master's in chemistry to do help desk apply. Worse they can say is no.

The time frame thing for calling back won't be bad but I'd consider losing a little bit of sleep if it makes it easier to call back (like sleep at 11 am rather than 10)
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ok I can chime in on parts of this. As another former overnight worker (one of the reasons I left my last position), calling the next day usually isn't an issue with HR, recruiters, etc. Some will reach out prior via email and want to set up a phone screen. You can either get something set up for before 10am if possible, or adjust your schedule for that day.

I haven't looked at your resume, but as far as applying goes, unless it has some over the top requirements that you are not sure/not qualified for, then apply. The more irons you have in the fire the better.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always apply.

You may find someone willing to take a chance on you and offer you the job. If you make it to the interview and don't get it, it will still be a good interview experience. Don't get caught up in the requirements. Especially with IT, you will find the things that they want don't often match the job (Wanting advanced certification for an entry job is a good example)