Options

Starting eJPT

snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
Yesterday I decided that I was getting really demotivated with my CCENT study, so I gave myself a break and went for something that I find extremely interesting :). I had a discount because I previously had the PTSv2 (when there was no exam), so the course was relatively cheap. I read a few reviews and it seemed like most people who did it enjoyed the course/learned something from it.

I'll keep everyone updated with how I'm finding it etc.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I really enjoyed this course. Best advice I can give you, make sure you understand the labs 100% before you start the cert exam because they do a really good job preparing you for the exam. Don't blow through them or lazily skip to the answers if it is not immediately obvious.

Cheers!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Whats up with the CCENT?

The eJPT is really fun, especially the exam. It'll have you thinking a little :)
    iBrokeIT is right about understanding the labs 100%. From my expierence, I had issues with the XFINITI WiFi and the labs. If you can directly connect to a network, it'll help.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm almost done with eJPT and should take the exam in the next 2 weeks. Awesome course!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the discount too and i'm tempting to upgrade as a stepping stone to the eCPPT. Best of luck!
  • Options
    supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the course and passed the exam. It was a little disconnected at first since you only do what you learned from the lesson on the lab. The exam requires you to put it all together. It was a bit challenging. I am going to take the eCPPT or OSCP, but that is still in the air.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
  • Options
    Sorry for the late response. I've managed to get quite a bit of study done over the long weekend, so I'm halfway through the course. Most of the material I already somewhat know, but this course has definitely helped solidify it and it breaks down the 'foundation' of it so you can understand it better. I'm really enjoying the web application section and the labs because that's always been a weak point for me.

My plan of attack is to go through the slides, videos and labs in order and then I'll do my revision by watching the videos again and trying all the labs a second time. I haven't had too much trouble with the labs so far.

@jamesleecoleman I found the CCENT really dry to be fair. It was one of those certs where I've just been doing it for too long because life has been busy and so my motivation has definitely flat lined. I'm going to come back to it once I finish this exam.
  • Options
    Originally I thought this course wasn't going to teach me much new. I'm pretty comfortable with Kali Linux, Metasploit etc. I have to say though, this course is great. It touches on quite a lot (doesn't go into massive detail, just gives you enough working knowledge) and I've learnt a fair bit. I'd highly recommend the course to anyone looking at a starting point because let's be honest, it can be quite daunting with the amount of information out there.

I'm currently on the last module and have 3 more labs to go. I'll look at booking the exam in the next few weeks although when will totally depend on how busy my new job is.
  • Options
    Thats great!

I suggest to take some notes from the video's if you haven't already sometimes the labs won't have the same information as in the video. Have you looked into ctf365.com? I think it's a great starting point to help reinforce some stuff learned in the course.

The test is pretty easy, some people have gotten it done within a few hours but it took me like 20 hours... crazy how that works. Plus I was doing somethings the wrong way, which paying attention to detail really help lol.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Good job @snow, do you work with metasploit in your job? for me I never touch this stuff so I had zero experience with the tools but my IT background helped simplified everything I guess.

Make sure you go through the labs and videos more than once, till you can cruise through them; that's what I did to pass.

• Options
    @UnixGuy I don't work with it at all in my job. I do use a bit of Nessus, but I have done a lot of my own study with Metasploit etc. Mainly just me playing around in my lab at home and being anti social :).

Well, I passed! I decided to take the exam today because I start my new job tomorrow and I knew I wouldn't have much time to do it. It was a lot of fun and I wish I didn't rush it (I wanted to still have some of my Sunday left over). All in all it took me 4 hours and that's including having a few breaks and having a few technical issues. My internet decided to be a bit of a dick today. I got 95% and it's a bit of a shame that they don't tell you which answers you got wrong.

I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interesting in pentesting. It is basic, but it points you in the right direction and gives you practice which is the best part. You get to use a range of the skills taught in the course on the exam, they don't just concentrate on 1 or 2. You will be tested on the majority of it.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the pass!!!
    What is next for you? Does your new job involve more infosec stuff?
    Booya!!
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Snow! I've about made up my mind that this will be my next project once I'm done with Net+. Seems like a really fun experience :)
  • Options
    Good job Snow!! you nailed it in a very short time, impressive!

What's next? eCCPT?

• Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats snowchick!! I'll start mine on the 22nd.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

@UnixGuy - I'd love to do the eCPPT, but I think I had better go back and finish up the CCENT. Then I'll assess what the new job is like, I suspect they want me to do a few certificates as well.

My ultimate security cert plan is eCPPT -> OSCP. It just comes down to how much time I have (and how much time my partner will let me hibernate in my office)!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!! I got the barebones edition of PTSv3 from watching the launch last year. Contemplating upgrading it since they give $100 off.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    @Snow: good plan, I paid for PTPv3 and should start studying soon, I want eCPPT and OSCP as well!

@JojoCal: go for it mate!

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    xmalachi, the barebones edition of PTSv3 includes all of the slides. That is all. It has no videos, labs, or eJPT attempt. I already have the Elite version of PTPv3 sitting waiting for me so I'm leaning towards just reading through the slides on the barebones PTSv3 and then moving into PTPv3.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework