Options

Which training should i go "database" for PLEASE HELP

SlickFlickSlickFlick Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I'm debating between 2 certificate programs and i was hoping for your input for which one will be a better option. Now beside the cost, im basically wanting to know which one is more reputable in the work envirnment and hve a higher level of training.
Keep in mind that im totally new to IT and database field and would like to get an entry level database administrator job.

1/ database administrator certificate from bellevue college (in class) http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/ce/category/database-administrator/
2/ database management certificate from uw continuing educarion (online) https://www.pce.uw.edu/certificates/database-management
Thank you everyone

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am still unclear if you have and undergrad or other studies. I can't speak to the quality of the programs, but I will say that as a hiring manager I would not care where your certificate is from. I would put more weight on your expertise and general understanding of whatever technologies we use.
  • Options
    Thank your for your input, i really appreciate it.
    Let me clear a little bit of the ambiguity.
    I'm 31 years old, and i have been a blue collar for the last 4 years since i came to the United States. Currently working as a truck driver. I've always had a passion for technology and i always wanted to pursue a career in the tech industry.
    My goal is to get my foot in the door, i want to to pursue a career in the tech industry and specifically as a database administrator and eventually work up the ladder.
    So the better question will be: what will help me land my first job as a database administrator?
    go for 1 year certification like the one i mentioned above? study for Oracle/Microsoft certification? see if there is a 12 week immersive database bootcamps like the one for web developers?

I'm open for your inputs and suggestions.

Thank you again
  • Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope I don't burst your bubble, but I'm going to be honest.

A database administrator position should not be your first IT job. You should put that on hold and work your way to a systems administration position. You will see other technologies. You might fall in love with VMWare, or Exchange, or Remedy, or Networking, or anything else. Go for the MTA certifications, see how you do there, then get your MCSA / OCA certification. I wouldn't hire a DBA who didn't have at least 2 years of general systems administration experience. If you decide you still want to be a DBA, get your MCSE Data Platform certification / OCP.

As far as bootcamps, they are a waste of money imho, as typically you get too much information to be able to retain. There are TONS of courses on Udemy, Lynda, heck even a ton of free videos on YouTube. Buy yourself a computer with 8 GB of ram and install Microsoft SQL Server 2016 CTP on it (or MySQL), then use that to get your written SQL experience.

I know there are SQL user groups in Seattle, do yourself a favor and join up with them.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • Options
    Thank you for your honesty. Honesty is what i need, because the last thing i want i chasing a pipe dream.

do you have any certifications recommendations for the system admin position? Red Hat, Linux or Oracle?