Options

Advice on my situation?

apks94apks94 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I guess I'm in sort of a unique position right now. Let me explain..

I'm in a government ran vocational tech program in the US. While being there, I got both my CompTIA A+ certification and my CCENT as well. I recently started my first quarter of college. I'm studying for my AAS in Systems Admin, after that my plan was to go back home and work on my BA in IT.

So back to the main point. I guess the particular place that I am at got a call from a similar place about the urgent need of an IT person. I really don't know all the details of what I would be doing other than "maintaining and troubleshooting computers and the network". Someone there that is not in a natural IT position is current "running the show" until they find someone. Pretty vague. I had a phone interview with the people who run that specific center, and they said I sounded impressive. I'd be the only IT person.

I'd be on about a trial period of a week (maybe?), and if they like me I'd be hired on for a full time federal position. I was told two things about the pay grade. GS-7 or GS-9. This would be my first job. And I just finished my first quarter so I'm wondering what you guys were thinking. If I do get the job I would have to relocate to Oregon about an hour and a half south east of Portland, Oregon. I current live in Washington.

I'm doing the trial for sure as they provide the temporary housing. But, if they do offer me the job I'm wondering how I should go about it. Just focus on school or take the job. I mean if I just half two entry level certs with no college, I can only imagine what would happen once I get my CCNA and my Bachelors. Advice?

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Federal job? I wouldnt accept anything lower than a GS-09. Also, inquire if its coded 2210 (will give you more money). If both of these requirements are met, it would be a fantastic first job. You would probably be doing desktop support and maybe even infrastructure depending on the job descrip.

Another cool perk is the government will help with school (you can use federal tuition assistance). If you work that job for at least a year, if it will grant you the ability to apply for GS-11 jobs. Definitely finish that degree, though. If you decide to stay in federal service, a degree will be increasingly important as you climb the tiers.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the job (it's the point of going to college), stay focused and work school around your employment which will lead to more options in the near future.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe