Options

ASD and interviews

DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
Another thread got me thinking and since most of us are highly technical I bet more than than a few of us would score high on the ASD "autism spectrum disorder" scale. For those that aren't aware that's a fairly new redefinition and measurement for people who exhibit traits related to autism, Asperger syndrome, etc. For many its something you'd notice more in childhood and be harder to diagnose in adult hood.

Point being, I come from a family with at least one ASD parent, and many aunts or uncles that would probably be diagnosed as well.
Myself I've grown a lot over the years and have always been well immersed in customer facing technical roles so I know how to be mostly normal in those settings.

Interviewing is selling yourself, and thats where ASD fails me and anyone who has ASD or knows someone with it will know that the extremely important things in interviewing such as eye contact or not doing something stupid with your hands, etc are things aspies
have the most trouble with.

Anyone got any great suggestions. Practice is always a fine idea, but that will only go so far and you'd have to have the problem to truly understand how uncomfortable an interview and something like eye contact is.

Comments

• Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've found that teaching classes over the years has had the side-effect of adding a little polish to my interview approach (not talking with hands, making eye contact, not mumbling, etc...). Other than that, I think the best way to improve your interviewing technique is to practice interviewing. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find an alternative that's as effective.