Options

Cable Tech / VoIP Phone Installation

gatorfangatorfan Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys. I'm Network+ certified and studying for CCNA (I should be able to pass CCENT within a week or two) and I'm trying to get into a sysadmin job at some point. I realize I need to work through help desk or some other job first to gain a little experience (or get lucky). So today I saw a job for a "Cable Tech" and looking at their website they install Samsung IP phones and other services related to surveillance and alarms.

My question is, will this be good experience for a Networking career? I know VoIP is big in enterprises but is that a good skill to gain to jump over to some type of Network role or would it be better to find a help desk type job? BTW, I do have 3 years experience at a local PC shop but mostly break and fix type stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I have a feeling this job is more about pulling wire than networking. Truth is you have no idea unless you can get in for an interview. Depending on the vendor you could be doing very little networking or configuration or you could be installing on site servers or routers and maybe configuring those. Never hurts to interview.