help desk to network support

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All,

So I have been doing helpdesk/desktop support for about 3 years now with a couple different companies, The current one I am at is a pretty good salary around 60k. Anyway I am looking to move out of helpdesk for a position like network support, Jr network admin, etc. I want to start working on network infrastructure. I am still working on certifications (mainly CCNA) and I am passively looking on job boards just to see what's out there and what employers are looking for.

My Main question is should i expect a pay cut when doing this transition? If that's the case I am okay with it, I just want to see if anyone has ever gone through this transition and what their experience was like.

Thank you All!

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Would really depend on the area you live, the business sector of your next company, your current networking experience and the exact type of work of your next position you get. If I had to guess and entry level NOC position is closer to 50K but there is a lot of determining factors on which that could increase or decrease.
  • monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you NetworkNewb, you list some very good points, I don't really have any networking experience other then self study and labs, which is why i want' to jump ship so I think i should be looking at the experience I will be getting versus the pay.
  • indigomx9indigomx9 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in New York City, and it used to be where everyone had a role: the Help desk Team, Audio/Projector/Video Conferencing Team, Desktop Team, Cabling/Phone VOIP/Network Team, and Server Team. Nowadays a lot of company's have migrated to a "jack-of-all-trades" On-Site support and do everything.

In my opinion, you should NOT have to take a pay cut if you are doing On-Site Support and wearing many hats. My advice would be to apply for full-time jobs where you do Network and can also do Deskside, etc. or apply for a Temp/Contractor Position to build up your experience until you find the ideal job.
  • monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    True that's something to consider, I am in NJ about 30 min train ride from NY. The position i'm in now unfortunately is only help desk, our network team handles everything else which kind of stinks because our whole IT team is 4 people.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Get some gear and build configs with them. Recruitment places will take that as experience and it could go a longer way in the interview if you show initiative. Some places want more experience but many are willing to teach as well.
  • indigomx9indigomx9 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    monorion wrote: »
    True that's something to consider, I am in NJ about 30 min train ride from NY. The position i'm in now unfortunately is only help desk, our network team handles everything else which kind of stinks because our whole IT team is 4 people.

Maybe you can cross-train (volunteer during projects) and/or get a promotion to the Network team at your job?
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    This will depend in your experience. If you have no experience then the manager will see that. This will hurt you but take the paycut since it will help you grow.
    In my experience. I personally know a friend who is in desktop making 65k. He was offered a network tech for 50k. He has no CCNA or experience in networking. He didnt take the job....
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Off topic, but it seems like all of the desktop support/helpdesk jobs I see are nowhere near $50k - $60k. All i see being advertised are $10 - $14 per hour jobs.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Off topic, but it seems like all of the desktop support/helpdesk jobs I see are nowhere near $50k - $60k. All i see being advertised are $10 - $14 per hour jobs.

The guy that was doing desktop have years of experience. More than 10yrs.