Passed Security + (JUST!)

londonladlondonlad Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I scraped a Pass from my first Security + attempt today. I thought I'd post this as I valued other posts by people who have taken the exam already.

I used Professor Messer videos (and course notes) / Darril Gibson online (not the book) & Comptia Certmaster. I spent a hell of a lot of time studying for this. I was greeted with the simulations which immediately threw me off course - very long and as I noticed the time ticking down I decided to pass on them and carry on with the rest of the q's and review them afterwards. I feel as though I studied and dug deep into area's that were not even touched upon in the exam. Comptia Certmaster was helpful, but I don't feel that it particularly helped me as it was very....Generic and drawn out. Pro Messor's notes were a little basic but I found the videos great.

Gibson's online content is a must IMO. Goodluck to everyone else taking this exam.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    Hey, I'm curious do you get to use a calculator on this exam because I know there are questions regarding ALE formula
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    no calculator. the ALE is pretty simple. you do get a paper and pencil to do any math but i don't recall actually calculating anything and if i did it was easy enough to do in my head
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you need a calculator, the testing software has a calculator build in. For most of them is located on the upper left corner.
    Taking mine in a few days, any additional tips? LOL I gave myself a month for this but last week things came up and delayed my studying so I actually feel a little nervous.
  • A+ QuizzicalA+ Quizzical Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • londonladlondonlad Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Best tip for this exam from me would be skip the Sim's and do them last. I panicked a bit when I saw them as they appeared to be quite in depth and when the clocks rolling my mind went blank! I didn't have to calculate anything so a calculator wasn't needed. Oh also I think these exams are quite expensive, so I got the free retake just in case as a fail safe.
  • jonemacjonemac Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tip: do the performance questions last.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!icon_cheers.gif The only score that matters is a passing one.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
    Congraturations!

I felt the same way, it was very generic. I studied so much little details and I didn't get to show it off!