Passed Security + (JUST!)

londonladlondonlad Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I scraped a Pass from my first Security + attempt today. I thought I'd post this as I valued other posts by people who have taken the exam already.

I used Professor Messer videos (and course notes) / Darril Gibson online (not the book) & Comptia Certmaster. I spent a hell of a lot of time studying for this. I was greeted with the simulations which immediately threw me off course - very long and as I noticed the time ticking down I decided to pass on them and carry on with the rest of the q's and review them afterwards. I feel as though I studied and dug deep into area's that were not even touched upon in the exam. Comptia Certmaster was helpful, but I don't feel that it particularly helped me as it was very....Generic and drawn out. Pro Messor's notes were a little basic but I found the videos great.

Gibson's online content is a must IMO. Goodluck to everyone else taking this exam.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAMember Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • techtiatechtia Member Posts: 144
    Hey, I'm curious do you get to use a calculator on this exam because I know there are questions regarding ALE formula
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■□□□□□□□
    no calculator. the ALE is pretty simple. you do get a paper and pencil to do any math but i don't recall actually calculating anything and if i did it was easy enough to do in my head
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Senior Member Member Posts: 2,298 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you need a calculator, the testing software has a calculator build in. For most of them is located on the upper left corner.
    Taking mine in a few days, any additional tips? LOL I gave myself a month for this but last week things came up and delayed my studying so I actually feel a little nervous.
  • A+ QuizzicalA+ Quizzical Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,177 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    Certs Gained 2018: CCENT ,210-255 ( Cyber Security Operations)
    Upcoming: ICND2, CTT, 210-250 (Cyber Security Fundamentals)

Isaiah 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line; here a little, and there a little.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • londonladlondonlad Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Best tip for this exam from me would be skip the Sim's and do them last. I panicked a bit when I saw them as they appeared to be quite in depth and when the clocks rolling my mind went blank! I didn't have to calculate anything so a calculator wasn't needed. Oh also I think these exams are quite expensive, so I got the free retake just in case as a fail safe.
  • jonemacjonemac Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tip: do the performance questions last.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Senior Member Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Goteki54Goteki54 SSCP, A+, Network +, Security + BaltimoreMember Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!icon_cheers.gif The only score that matters is a passing one.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
    Congraturations!

I felt the same way, it was very generic. I studied so much little details and I didn't get to show it off!