Options

Questions to ask a recruiter (Tier 2 NOC interview)

majestic_pecanmajestic_pecan Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have an interview with a recruiter tomorrow for a tier 2 position at a NOC. The job is contract-to-hire and pays slightly more than what I make now (but less than what I'd like to make, ideally). She is going to tell me where the job is at the interview.
What questions should I come prepared to ask the recruiter? Everything I've heard both on this board and from co-workers suggests I should trust them as far as I can throw them. I plan on asking if the pay will increase at the end of the contract, if the recruiting firm will pay for my insurance during the contract, and if she can give me some details about why the firm is hiring. What am I missing?
2016 GOALS:
Linux+
Wireshark
New job...

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Sometimes, the recruiter has no idea how to respond to technical question. They are just around to get you an interview and get a percentage..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can definitely ask those questions but I'd ultimately end up asking them again when I speak with the company directly so not sure how much time you want to waste asking. Unless there's something in writing they can forward you, I'd just make it short and sweet.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Questions you could ask during time with recruiter and with next person you talk to:

Why is this position open? (promotion, newly created, replacement, etc)
    What are working hours? (days, mids, overnight, rotating schedule, etc)
    How long has this company been in business? (unless you know them to be well known in your area, etc)

From dealing with recruiters (and formally being one a long time ago), the recruiting company usually has insurance that is available for purchase. They won't pay for yours, and it is usually more expensive than what you could get on your own.

Once you get to the actual interview, and you think you did well and you want the position ... ASK FOR IT! This was one of the biggest feedback issues we would get from employers. They liked someone, but they never asked for the job outright. Some where willing to hire on the spot, if the candidate would have asked for the job. Don't forget the simple questions like asking them what brought THEM to the company, what do THEY like best about the company. Most folks like to talk about themselves, so remember its a two way street when it comes to interviews.

Follow up with the recruiter ASAP to get any possible feedback they may have already received. Send a thank you note to the interviewer(s) again thanking them for your time, and looking forward to next steps. Take notes, ask questions!
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Questions you could ask during time with recruiter and with next person you talk to:

Why is this position open? (promotion, newly created, replacement, etc)
    What are working hours? (days, mids, overnight, rotating schedule, etc)
    How long has this company been in business? (unless you know them to be well known in your area, etc)

From dealing with recruiters (and formally being one a long time ago), the recruiting company usually has insurance that is available for purchase. They won't pay for yours, and it is usually more expensive than what you could get on your own.

Once you get to the actual interview, and you think you did well and you want the position ... ASK FOR IT! This was one of the biggest feedback issues we would get from employers. They liked someone, but they never asked for the job outright. Some where willing to hire on the spot, if the candidate would have asked for the job. Don't forget the simple questions like asking them what brought THEM to the company, what do THEY like best about the company. Most folks like to talk about themselves, so remember its a two way street when it comes to interviews.

Follow up with the recruiter ASAP to get any possible feedback they may have already received. Send a thank you note to the interviewer(s) again thanking them for your time, and looking forward to next steps. Take notes, ask questions!

Honestly, at an interview how do you ask for the job?

In general you want to talk benefits. Making sure that stuff like PTO, healthcare, and other activities are covered.
    Ask if there is any company events because atmosphere is one.
    Ask what are the company holidays? Don't just assume the standard 8.

See if a pay raise is eligible in 90 days upon work review.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How to ask for the job (if you truly want it) during an interview:

1. “I think I could do a lot for your company and that we could work well together. Have I given you all the information you need to offer me the job?”

2. Summarize your qualifications and then say, “That’s why I think I’d be a good fit for this position. Is there anything I haven’t covered?”

3. “I’m certain this is the job I want. What can I do to convince you that I’m the right person for this position?”

4. “I’m very interested in this job. Is there anything preventing you from offering me the job right now?”

5. “I am truly interested in the job. What is the next step for consideration? When will you be making a decision? Are there any questions I have left unanswered?”

6. “I feel my background and skills are a good fit for this position, and I’m very interested. What is the next step?”

7. “I am really interested in this job and working with your team. Do you have any more questions for me?”

8. “This job sounds perfect for my skills and experience. I’d really like to work with you and your team.”

9. “I would love to work for your company. I think I have a lot to offer, such as 'x' and 'y'. What is the next step in the hiring process?”

10. “After what I’ve learned about you and your company, I’m confident I’d be a good fit. I hope to hear from you soon.”

Last thought: This should go without saying but here it is anyway: You should only “ask for the job” if this is a job you’re sure you want, and are prepared to accept right on the spot. (As always, be sincere, be enthusiastic, be courteous, be honest, and be yourself.)
  • Options
    majestic_pecanmajestic_pecan Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice all. I've used this recruiting firm before (though not this particular recruiter). Last time the meeting with the recruiter was just a formality to make sure I wasn't crazy or whatever before they handed me off to the client, so I'm hoping that to be the case tomorrow. But I plan on being prepared for anything.
    2016 GOALS:
    Linux+
    Wireshark
    New job...
  • Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    I guess a talk with recruiter will mainly be explaining about your role, rather than testing your proficiency in certain areas. To test how confident you speak and behave she might ask you to tell about you. What I would ask if a recruiter calls you..! Just ask them more about the position, if you have any doubts don't hesitate. Usually she explains you about all benefits and stuff, but in my experience will not reveal package till they want to extend an offer, so please don't ask for package (my opinion). Ask more about the position and details of what your main purpose for the inclusion in the team is. Thats should suffice in my view.. let us know how it went.

All the best...icon_thumright.gif
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []