Should I invest in another sw for STP ?

steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I currently have 2 layer 3 3650s sw's for my lab at home, but I'm contemplating picking up a 3rd for STP labbin. I would actully be looking at a layer 3 that is smaller (possibly fanless) for using as my home device after I'm done with the main lab. If not just for STP is it worth picking up a 3rd sw for CCNA, and CCNP ? Thanks!
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

• NansNans Member Posts: 160
    After reading many suggestions from members, what they usually tell is have 2-3 layer 2 switches and one layer 3 switch which will help in Inter_vlan labbing. Since you already have 2 layer 3's i would say but layer 2 (look at the costs I don't know the costs)..
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    for ccnp you'd like to have 4x layer 3 switches. And, a 3560 running version 15 of the ios is rather inexpensive. "ts" model do run version 15 of the ios and the "ps" poe models cant.
  • steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, for the input. Id like to go with the L3 option because I can always remove the routing if needed for a true layer 2 device.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nans wrote: »
    Since you already have 2 layer 3's i would say but layer 2 (look at the costs I don't know the costs)..

A Layer 3 switch operates as a Layer 2 switch until you enter the "ip routing" command (and configure SVIs, etc...) Personally, unless one is on a really tight budget, I would suggest going with all Layer 3 switches since you'll need the Layer 3 abilities later on (CCNP, CCIE). Plus, they can be used in a pinch as a router for Layer 3 labs as they support most routing protocols, static routes, etc...

The 3560-24PS will suffice for CCNA and CCNP, but won't be enough for CCIE. OTOH, it is now cheaper than the 3560-24TS. A 3560-24TS, 3560G, or 3560E (with IP Services License) will take you all the way through CCIE - at least for now. I suspect that eventually (a couple revisions down the road), Classic IOS will be replaced with IOS XE (used on 4000 Series Routers and 3850 Series Switches) on Cisco exams.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    A Layer 3 switch operates as a Layer 2 switch until you enter the "ip routing" command (and configure SVIs, etc...) Personally, unless one is on a really tight budget, I would suggest going with all Layer 3 switches since you'll need the Layer 3 abilities later on (CCNP, CCIE).

That is what my point was costs.. Come on I do know layer 3 will operate at layer 2 icon_sad.gif
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    If your end goal is CCIE then buy the hardware. If not, you have Gns3,iou, and virl.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nans wrote: »
    That is what my point was costs.. Come on I do know layer 3 will operate at layer 2 icon_sad.gif

Cost isn't really the issue it used to be unless you are buying 2950 switches ($25). A 3560-24PS runs the same price as a 2960-24TT-L (L2 Switch) and only a few dollars more than a 3550 (Older L3 Switch). Gone are the days when a Layer 3 switch (3560/3550) cost substantially more than a Layer 2 switch (2960/2950) on eBay.

Current Lowest Price on eBay --

2950-24: $25
    3550-24: $40
    3560-24PS: $46
    2960-24TT-L: $46
    3560-48TS: $62
    3560-24TS: $84
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Thanks :) never researched those :) should help me when I am having my own lab.. :)