Options

MCSA or keep going to MCSE??

daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
Only a few days ago, I was prepared to go all the way to an MCSE (2012R2 Server), but then I started thinking about why and this is how I feel at this point in my career.

1) Is it required for the current job? Currently I only need the MCSA. No one is asking me to get the MCSE.

2) Will training be provided? I'm currently studying MCSA on my own. This requires training videos, books, test exams .. ect ect. From what I have read on this forum most people have said the MCSE is very involved, and I don't feel like taking this on by myself. If the job doesn't provide the training, why bother?

3) It expires. I know this is always in contention on this site, but if there is no 1 and 2 above, then I will be getting a cert that will expire in 3 years. Not sure the point of that.

So in conclusion, are there reasons why I should bother with this certification and is there really a demand for it? The booster pack makes it tempting, but I have my doubts. I've been in IT for more than 10 years, and I don't feel like jumping for the sake of jumping.

For those that have obtained the cert, have you seen a great return on that investment for your time? I'm thinking probably not, but I look forward to some replies.

thanks,
David

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Looking at the certs you do have, it would at least mark out an area of 'expertise'. This might not be that relevant for you given your Masters' and also your experience. I think if you were thinking of moving, it would be worthwhile - probably more to expand the range of opportunities than to necessarily increase your salary (given the two Masters' degrees and the experience). The expiration isn't a huge deal, it's just a one exam to recertify, by which time there will be 2016, so you'd need updating anyway.

The MCSE level is a whole lot more strategic, design/architect oriented, and is about understanding the whole ecosystem and where the technologies fit in it and work together to provide solutions. If you have aspirations in that direction, it could be worthwhile. It is one way to also make the transition away from the day to day technical work which is much more effortful to keep current with towards management/strategy roles. Of course, your Masters' are probably also a good way to demonstrate that.

There could also be some value if you had MCSA's under you and needed to demonstrate superiority (so to speak).

But most likely, if you aren't feeling it, it will just be a drain and distraction and could be left to a more opportune time.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a couple of MCSE tracks besides Server Infrastructure.
    I may look at MCSE:Private Cloud as a way to learn about Azure.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Mike7 wrote: »
    There are a couple of MCSE tracks besides Server Infrastructure.
    I may look at MCSE:Private Cloud as a way to learn about Azure.

MCSE Private Cloud isn't as Azure heavy as "Cloud" might suggest. It's a lot more emphasis on the "Private" using Hyper-V and System Center. The MCSD: Azure Solutions Architect offers much more Azure focussed certification, is more devops than pure infrastructure focus - but this is the norm, it seems, for Cloud certifications.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will hold off for now on the MCSE until it either becomes a requirement or training is provided. Meanwhile I will probably go for the CASP after getting the MCSA to satisfy the continuing education requirements for CompTia.

David
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep in mind, recertification is now (or soon) available by completing just the associated Microsoft Virtual Academy course(s). No need to take an exam or spend money.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Keep in mind, recertification is now (or soon) available by completing just the associated Microsoft Virtual Academy course(s). No need to take an exam or spend money.

This is nice. Is there a link or source to verify this?
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techwizard wrote: »
    This is nice. Is there a link or source to verify this?

Recertify with Microsoft Virtual Academy
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, cool thank you!
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill