Options

First sit down interview...EVER!!!!

PSG_WarnerPSG_Warner Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
**Long post ahead**
Hello,
Thursday I have my very first ever interview. This interview is for a IT Help desk (Job title). They said this place is about a 100 computer work station (which doesn't seem big at all). First, there was a questionnaire, then I made it to the phone interview, now a face to face interview. Do you think they was weeding people out during those steps? On Indeed (where I applied from) said their was 50 people that have applied. I recently graduated a trade school where I received A, Network, and Security+. I have 0 actual working experience in this field. I did alot of 'volunteer work' at my school though, bunch of help desk that the school has. So in experience like that I have a year or so. I was also an on site IT guy at about (100 computer) school, where I manned it myself. Doing the general computer work. So, technically I am under qualified for this job. In the phone interview, it never seemed like a problem. He kept saying it's good to get started somewhere, but never gave me the idea that getting started might not be there (or too look somewhere else)

So, here are some questions:

1). Do you think they was weeding people out throughout the whole process.
2). What are some questions I should be prepared for?
3). Does it show a good sign that I have made it through all these steps?

Below listed is the job page;
Here are the duties of the job:
  • Provide hardware and software technical support. Responsibilities will include interfacing with the customer to track, record, and document help desk requests and issues.
  • Provide support via telephone and email to diagnose and resolve problems while providing end user assistance and resolution to issues.
  • Provide support for Microsoft operating systems, Microsoft Office Suite and other applications.
  • Escalate support requests as necessary following established procedures.
  • Monitor Helpdesk and telephone requests for Service Level Agreement (SLA) violations and escalates as required.
  • Maintain technical logs and documentation according to departmental procedures.
  • Assist management with a variety of specialty projects and assignments when required.
  • Troubleshoot and resolve routine network issues, PC/laptop, switches/hubs, routers, connectivity, and computer peripheral devices.
  • Plan and implement deployment schedules for applications, patches, and service packs at the desktop level.
  • Provide after-hours coverage and support as needed
Here are requirements for the job:
  • Minimum of two (2) years’ work experience in a technical support role.
  • Advanced PC/laptop software knowledge and skills, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting and fighting viruses/malware.
  • Demonstrated analytical ability to solve problems. Broad base of technical skills to clearly diagnose and solve problems relating to hardware and software issues.
  • Effective interpersonal skills for interaction with all levels of staff, clients, vendors and consultants.
  • Strong communication skills (both oral and written) and demonstrated ability to work as a team player.
  • Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to quickly adjust priorities and the ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
  • Open to training a teachable candidate
  • Help Desk, A+or MCSE certifications a plus.
  • Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in an IT or related field.
  • Strong computer, server, and networking skills.
  • Proficiency in Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013, and Office 365

Comments

• Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    The interview process so far has been to weed out those who lack the basic technical skills, sound like they are talking rubbish or have poor telephone skills. This sort of job attracts a lot of applicants so this is an important way to reduce the interview pool to a manageable size (especially as you will typically get several hundred applicants).

Your experience and skills are very relevant to the application so I think you qualify (otherwise you would not have made it this far) so don't dwell on this - I would instead concentrate on emphasizing how you have dealt with issues (especially unhappy customers - a common interview scenario question) in your roles so far, and that you are keen to learn a lot more.

Think about your career progress over the next 5 years or so - realistically you could be 2nd line support within 2 years and 3rd line within 5, possibly even team leader if you have the aptitude. Managers will like to know that you are hungry to learn, improve and develop but I would suggest you let them know that in the future you would like to mentor someone who is then in your position to give them the chance to continue the good will that has been shown to you.

A good question to ask is what the options are for training and development - if asked why then say you would like to learn a lot more about the technologies you support. I would suggest you volunteer to do some studying in your own time for some exams, but you would like the company to pay for the books / training videos and exams fees to keep the costs modest. This shows you are not expecting the company to pay for formal training courses (very expensive) and you are contributing you own time to something that will benefit the company. Perhaps suggest courses like ITIL Foundations and Microsoft Professional certs in the operating systems they use (Windows 7 or 8?). Read up on the outline of ITIL (it is basically IT best practice and can be rather dry but teaches some useful info) as it has a bearing on daily operation of the service desk.

Remember to ask what the dress code is for the interview. Assume it is formal (ie suit) if you don't hear otherwise but make sure you have a recent haircut, a shave, clean nails and a good shower / polish shoes / pack proof of certs + spare CVs etc - the usual preparation stuff.

I suspect the interviewer wants a person who knows enough about IT to answer the phone, take details and get up to speed quickly on basic faults & requests. They want someone hungry to learn and develop and make them proud while getting the job done so it is mostly going to be about your potential and how you approach situations (with some reference to similar situations you have experienced), so think through any situations on how you have had problems in the past (often with people) and how you overcame them.

If asked how you escalate issues, I would suggest making reference to asking for input and recommendations from any colleagues once you had thought through what the options were just to check you were doing the right thing - it shows you did the hard work but checked before acting if you were unsure. This is important on the junior side of support. Also ask if there will be a mentor figure to help you develop both technically and in line with the culture of the company.

I've hired dozens of staff of this level and would prefer this sort of candidate any day of the week. You will be expected to move on from the role within a few years to better things, but this is the nature of support work. Also remember that you won't be the only one of this sort of level applying so don't take it personally if you don't get it - just relax, be yourself and do your best.

Good luck
    Iain
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Good Advice above. Generally Level 1 support is all about the soft skills. Most places won't want you to spend too much time actually fixing the issue, they want people who can listen to the problem, identify who needs to fix it, document the problems accurately and pass it along.

Good Luck! It sounds like you have set yourself up nicely. You've basically made it to Round 4 of the interview process, (resume screen, questionnaire, phone interview and face to face)
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1). Do you think they was weeding people out throughout the whole process.

Watch your verbal and written tense. In this case 'was' compared to 'were'. I know its nitpicky but in this case you need to sound like an emerging tech analyst.

As far as the interview goes...

Sit up straight.

The back of the chair does not exist for the interviewee (you). Sit forward in the chair and listen closely to the interviewer (hiring manager).

Be polite.

Keep answers as short and neat as you can.

Be enthusiastic and honest. Don't BS your way through the interview. If you don't know the answer - know where to find it. Co-workers, tech books and Google are all your friends.

Huge bonus points. This is about as scary a thing anyone interviewing can do but also critical. Ask the interviewer if there is anything you could explain better or anything you may have missed. Most people just want the whole thing over and out of there only to punish themselves wondering if they got the job or not. This will generally tell you immediately if your being considered to out right 'your hired'. It also takes some confidence to ask for feedback.

Send a thank-you note the next day if provided the opportunity... errr, business card. If not, try going through the recruiter but get a thank-you back if you can.

Good luck!

- b/eads
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I often ask 'is there anything about my experience or background that may be a concern?' The usual response is either 'no', or they may mention they are looking for somebody with more hands-on with this or that. At that point I can elaborate on something I have done either more in depth or of a similar nature.

Also, I agree with the grammar. While it may sound nit-picky, you will likely be the first line to the customers and the first opportunity to represent the IT department. Soft skills will be very important in this position.
  • Options
    PSG_WarnerPSG_Warner Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the feed back!

Also, sorry about the grammar. I was rushing to post before I went to bed. I also had 10 billion questions ready to ask until I started typing.