Options

Re-applying for jobs and getting the silent treatment

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I have applied to many jobs in the past were I have gotten offer letters and have not accepted the offer for one reason or another. Past couple months I have been applying to the same or other positions at the same companies and I have noticed that I either get an auto response email saying the position was filled (even though weeks later, still on job board) or I get no response at all. Keep in mind these are small companies, I know I qualify for the job.

Wondering if there is some kind of insider HR rule where they don't want to interview someone that has rejected an offer in the past. Anyone else have experienced something like this before?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I don't have experience with this but you rejected their offer before. Interviewing someone and getting them an offer letter is a long process and they think you rejected them once, I don't think they will be keen on going through the same process with you again but who knows.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was in their position, I would think that you turned them down initially because you wanted something better, but then never found it, so you're settling. Sounds like the type of employee who would just bail with no notice in two months for a better job.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    There is something I told my friend once who took a job offer and then a week before he started he took a counter offer.

I informed him that anyone he just interviewed with and anyone that person knows in his career world he just burnt a bridge with.

You unfortunately did the same thing by utiliIng thise peoples time.

Just keep moving forward but I can tell you now those roads are closed.
  • Options
    I don't think I HAVE to accept their offer.... but this has all been at least one year ago, I don't see why I could not apply with that company again for another position. I guess if my application goes to the same recruiter....but at a larger company I may be ok if it is with another dept.
  • Options
    you don't 'have' to accept it, and there is nothing stopping you from applying either. All I'm saying is that from their point of view, they might be reluctant to interview you again as it's a lengthy process; but they might really want you and try and give you a chance. No one will ever know what they think, it's just random. I'd apply anyway..

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I'd also apply anyway as Unix said. If it is for another department you'd have a greater chance as well I'd think but no you don't have to accept their offer.

My example was of someone who did and backed out and if you went through the same manager the 2nd time if you didn't accept they will probably feel as if they wouldn't want to waste their time.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't speak for all companies, but I do know that as my previous company if someone rejected an offer they were pretty much blacklisted. I don't know how other companies handle it. If I were a hiring manager and I gave you a job offer and you rejected it - I don't know that I would give you a second offer. I would have to evaluate if you were applying again because you were desperate and if you would be a flight risk. If it was an in depth interview process (3+ interviews) and you rejected it then applied again - no way I would waste my time on you. Part of me would think I was being trolled.

It also depends on the time frame I think. For instance a supervisor for a call center probably doesn't remember everyone they have interviewed or made job offers to because of the turn over volume, but if he made you the offer a month ago and you are applying again - might be a different story.
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I had a job at a company with a huge data center back in late 2012. I was doing desktop support there for VERY low pay. When the chance for a $7 an hour pay raise came by taking another job, I went for it. I gave the full two weeks notice and all.

Now, several years later, I am qualified for data center work, and would love to get back into this place. I've applied 3 times since last summer and never got a response of any kind. Including going to meet their HR person at 2 job fairs. I am not happy.

What is it going to take for these people to realize that they ARE going to hire me sooner or later? I'll keep applying, what can they do, continue to say no? Worst case scenario?
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    So I have applied to many jobs in the past were I have gotten offer letters and have not accepted the offer for one reason or another.

This sentence explains why you are blacklisted - you are a serial time waster. Word gets around in HR communities and you have proven to cause them a considerable loss of time (which = money and stress) so of course you will end up on an unofficial list of people to avoid like the plague.

Did you really think there would be no consequences to doing this repeatedly? Think of it as the most valuable lesson learned here - the gatekeepers (recruiters or HR) hold the power in the recruitment dynamic so have to be treated carefully, even the unpleasant ones.

I think you will find that bridge well and truly burned now so unless there are a lot of other companies in your city, you may have to look many miles away to find another recruiter who hasn't heard of your reputation.

I strongly recommend against applying for the positions unless you have an intention of accepting a reasonable offer.

Iain
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    +1 to all of the above. They wanted to hire you, you said no. You can't change your mind after the fact. You're blacklisted. Live & learn, sorry to say.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fmitawaps wrote: »

What is it going to take for these people to realize that they ARE going to hire me sooner or later? I'll keep applying, what can they do, continue to say no? Worst case scenario?

Maybe tell their other friends who this one applicant never takes a hint and won't go away? You're on their list now, if you've applied 3 times in less than a year and they wont reply they aren't going to suddenly hire you. Why not just move on and target other companies?
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some places/companies will automatically blacklist you, even when you don't get an offer. I applied and was offered an interview at one location, but decided to decline the interview after I learned more about the environment through other people. I simply didn't want to work there and waste anyone's time with the process. However, just doing that really pissed them off and was told to not bother ever applying again. In actuality, this response just confirmed what I felt the environment was like. It still stings to be rejected, though.

Another time, I was given an offer and then told I had only two days to think it over. At the time, I was waiting for a response from another company to come back. I made the decision to decline, thinking the other would come through. It didn't and I reached back out to the first company to see if I could change my mind on the offer. The response wasn't pleasant. They did say I could still have the job, however, they were very upset and snippy with me on the phone. I just said forget it.

In my experience, when a company puts time into you, at any step of the process and you back out, it's over.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So I have applied to many jobs in the past were I have gotten offer letters and have not accepted the offer for one reason or another. Past couple months I have been applying to the same or other positions at the same companies and I have noticed that I either get an auto response email saying the position was filled (even though weeks later, still on job board) or I get no response at all. Keep in mind these are small companies, I know I qualify for the job.

Wondering if there is some kind of insider HR rule where they don't want to interview someone that has rejected an offer in the past. Anyone else have experienced something like this before?

I'm in the same boat. I rejected one role because their rival paid me more and I rejected another role because they offered me too little. I've applied to both since because i'm desperate to leave my current job and company #1 ignored me and company #2 sent me a rejection letter immediately after the deadline.

It's a crying shame because the situation for me has changed and I would absolutely be in a position to accept the job. Essentially, I blacklisted myself from two amazing places and there's no way back. It sucks.
  • Options
    That is what I was afraid of being blacklisted. In this area though (NOVA, DC, MD) there are many gov contracts and many companies are on the same contract. I don't see why if you qualify for the job and it has been a year and apply either to the same job or another why they won't re-consider you. They only get paid by the gov when you start working for them, so it is in their best interest to get you on-board. I did my on-boarding today with my new job so I am not worried about finding a job now.
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I don't see why if you qualify for the job and it has been a year and apply either to the same job or another why they won't re-consider you.

From the recruiters point of view, are you going to be any less of a waste of their time than before? Probably not - so you'll stay on their blacklist until they decide to reset it (probably 5 years from experience in the UK government sector).

I don't think you appreciate how much hassle and money you cause them - the whole process to get down to one candidate, get the offer accepted and shut out the other applicants only to have the rug pulled from under them is many thousands of dollars plus weeks of wasted time. They often have protocols in place where they can't go back to the 2nd choice after they said "no thanks" so it is back to square one and re-advertise, re-filter applicants, re-interview etc.

Please don't treat this so lightly as you have cost companies many 10's of thousands of dollars by the sound of your serial insincerity.

Iain
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it all depends on the company. 3rd party recruiting agencies and large company HR departments are two vastly different animals. It also depends on the size / operation of both said types of companies.

In large companies the HR "recruiters" are yes the placement people but mostly just the paper workers. The hiring manager is someone I would be afraid to burn a bridge with. In my experience a large company style HR department basically doesn't have any say in the process at all, other than initial screening, and then making the paper work happen which is the pure definition of their jobs day-to-day anyway. It should be expected that some candidates will not work out and the process may have to abruptly end on occasion. Now if said candidate applied for a job within the same department / management structure, declined the position and re-applied for something of the same within the same department / management structure I would image their hesitancy / "black list" attitude.

Now on the other end of the spectrum 3rd party agencies will fill positions of all vast ranges of jobs. They also are working to fill positions and receive a benefit for doing so. So if you have declined positions through them once they positions have gotten to a offer phase I'd image that 3rd party company immediately black listing you. They don't have as much laxed time / effort to invest in internal hiring efforts, every potential offer is what they strive for.

Granted I don't work in HR but from experience this are my observations.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Apply anyway mate, no one knows if they blacklist you or not.

• Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally know of people who got an offer, refused due to their current company counter offering and then going back a year or two later and taking a position with the company they originally refused so it does happen. Keep trying, and if you really want the job maybe theres someone inside you talk to
    and see whats up.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I turned down a contract offer once and was pretty much scolded like a child by the recruiter that I burned a bridge with their client because of wasting time, money, etc. Fast forward two years and another recruiting agency is handling the recruiting for that position at that same company but with better pay and hours. I applied and interviewed with the same on site manager and got the job. My experience may vary from yours but just throwing that in there.