Options

Failed Microsoft Windows Server 2012 70-410 with R2 Updates

greatbam22greatbam22 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I didn't go into it thinking I was going to pass it because I wasn't worried about passing it today either. I bought the booster pack that gives me 5 shots.

I know I am weak in a few areas and I know I need to study more (Active Directory, Domains)

I went to to see:

1. How similar the questions on the test were to the practice exams I have been using.
2. Come up with a good strategy based upon the time allowed.

I feel like I have developed a good strategy for the test and now I am going to run back through the CBT nuggets course again.

I ran through the CBT nuggets course already at 2x speed and I will probably do it at 2x speed again.

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    greatbam22 wrote: »
    I didn't go into it thinking I was going to pass it because I wasn't worried about passing it today either. I bought the booster pack that gives me 5 shots.

I know I am weak in a few areas and I know I need to study more (Active Directory, Domains)

I went to to see:

1. How similar the questions on the test were to the practice exams I have been using.
    2. Come up with a good strategy based upon the time allowed.

I feel like I have developed a good strategy for the test and now I am going to run back through the CBT nuggets course again.

I ran through the CBT nuggets course already at 2x speed and I will probably do it at 2x speed again.

How are you taking notes? I also recommend reading the following books:

Active Directory Definitive Guide.
    Group Policy Fundamentals
    Powershell in a month of lunches.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What practice exams did you use? Measure Up? If yes, they are different from the exam questions. I found them to be way more difficult.
    I couldn't break 60% in measure up tests and I passed the exam with 765.

The best way to study for this, at least for me, is to take each section and master it. The move to the next one
    Watch CBT Nuggets videos on Install and Configure Servers and follow along in your lab environment.
    Then read the chapters from the book ( I recommend Don Poulton's Cert Guide ) and follow along in your lab environment.
    Go through the technet articles and follow along in your lab environment.

Basically, go through each chapter a few times but using different materials. and LAB each time.
    Don't skip the trivial stuff. Lab lab lab. If you think you don't need to do this AGAIN, you'll be sorry when you get an exam question that says "Where do you click to do bla bla bla"
  • Options
    Thanks for both of your advice. I'll look into those books.

I used the transcender test questions included with CBT nuggets. There is at least 1 question that was identical to the question on the test.

I know that I need to gain a greater understanding of the following:

Hyper-V and it's intricacies

NUMA topology resource control
    Resource Metering
    Virtual Machine Chimney
    VLAN IDs
    processor compatibility
    Integration Services
    automatic start action
    Port Mirroring
    Single-root I/O virtualization

NIC teaming

IPv6

Domains

AD
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you understand all ipv6 types and remember the prefix for each one. Like FE80 is Link Local. 5EFE is ISATAP ( Even though it's not the prefix) etc.
  • Options
    So I retook it again today after studying up on a ipv6, NIC teaming, domains and I failed again. I am not really all that surprised. Now I have to wait 2 weeks before I can retake though which is kind of a bummer but oh well.

The test today didn't have ANY subnetting, ipv6, or much NIC teaming on it so that was kind of a bummer to because I am very comfortable with subnetting.

It had a bunch more with regards to printers though which the first test did not.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone knows if I can take 70-411 before passing 70-410?

Also I just did some searching and this guy recommends studying all 3 exams (70-410 through 412) to be prepared for 410. I had thought about that before but I wanted to see what others though.
  • Options
    greatbam22 wrote: »
    So I retook it again today after studying up on a ipv6, NIC teaming, domains and I failed again. I am not really all that surprised. Now I have to wait 2 weeks before I can retake though which is kind of a bummer but oh well.

The test today didn't have ANY subnetting, ipv6, or much NIC teaming on it so that was kind of a bummer to because I am very comfortable with subnetting.

It had a bunch more with regards to printers though which the first test did not.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone knows if I can take 70-411 before passing 70-410?

Also I just did some searching and this guy recommends studying all 3 exams (70-410 through 412) to be prepared for 410. I had thought about that before but I wanted to see what others though.

I'm not really surprised you failed after retaking two days later. You have to remember this is a Microsoft exam. I wouldn't even worry about subnetting. You have to think what is new in Windows Server.

As far as 70-411, I'm sure you can take it but it probably won't help if you can't master 70-410.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    I wouldn't even worry about subnetting.

I would disagree. Every single MS test I took had some element of subnetting on it if only vaguely. With the first exam it was straight up subnetting asking for hosts per network and number of networks. 411 had it show its head as part of the VPN portions a few times, among other places. 412 had it mostly included with Active Directory sites.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    poolmanjim wrote: »
    I would disagree. Every single MS test I took had some element of subnetting on it if only vaguely. With the first exam it was straight up subnetting asking for hosts per network and number of networks. 411 had it show its head as part of the VPN portions a few times, among other places. 412 had it mostly included with Active Directory sites.

I'll counter with this. Should you know subnetting? Yes. With each example though that's heavy when it comes to how server and microsoft technologies interact. I would place more weight in those.

• Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bad luck greatbam, better luck next time (3 more free tries!). I'm in the same 410 study track as you.. CBT Nuggets (except I didn't go through at 2x speed), Mastering Windows by Minasi, and TechNet, and I'm doing it the way Marius recommended. Each topic: CBT, book, TechNet on each objective listed. I write tomorrow, and have the same attitude you did first time. Hoping but not expecting to pass, to get a feel for the questions and structure, and to find the weaknesses I need to strengthen.

And to answer your question, yes, you can do the 411 before the 410. I passed that in February on my freebie 2nd try, and the topics seem to overlap a fair bit with DNS, DHCP, AD and GP. I'm hoping the 4 months study for 411 and the 2 for 410 can carry me through.
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later