1 month enough to study for CISSP?

relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
My Security+ expires in May, I have been wanting my CISSP for a long time. If I pass it, I could use it to renew my Security+ so I figure that would be nice. I started studying last year then got a new job and didn't continue. I have the 11th hour CISSP 2E and have read it, I have the Shon Harrios AIO and read some of it, I did the CBT nuggets back then. I just ordered Eric Conrad's 3rd edition study guide.

I am planning on using these three books, Brainscape, Cybrary, and CCCure along with other random things I find. Have been working in IT for 12+ years have other certs but I know this one is hard. Do you guys think a month is enough time to prep for it realistically? I work full time and other life stuff so I don't have a ton of time to study.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    relegated wrote: »
    My Security+ expires in May, I have been wanting my CISSP for a long time. If I pass it, I could use it to renew my Security+ so I figure that would be nice. I started studying last year then got a new job and didn't continue. I have the 11th hour CISSP 2E and have read it, I have the Shon Harrios AIO and read some of it, I did the CBT nuggets back then. I just ordered Eric Conrad's 3rd edition study guide.

I am planning on using these three books, Brainscape, Cybrary, and CCCure along with other random things I find. Have been working in IT for 12+ years have other certs but I know this one is hard. Do you guys think a month is enough time to prep for it realistically? I work full time and other life stuff so I don't have a ton of time to study.

Are you in a Info Sec job currently ? have you read the CBK and seen what's required? 1 month is possible if you know the stuff and have experience OR you're just good at taking exams I suppose
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not possible if you are not working in some capacity in high level of InfoSec field where you have exposure to management related activities or experience.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    relegated wrote: »
    Do you guys think a month is enough time to prep for it realistically? I work full time and other life stuff so I don't have a ton of time to study.

Noooooo. Give yourself a good 3-6 months.

For the Security+, try getting yourself some CPE's

https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/comptia-continuing-education-activity-chart.pdf?sfvrsn=2

You can also look at getting the SSCP as well. That you could do in a shorter amount of time.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm not saying it's impossible, but highly unlikely. Some people here have studied and passed in this time frame but IIRC they were Infosec veterans.
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recommend the Sybex book over the others and I read them all...

If I were you, I'd schedule the test for 3 months from now, Study your butt off and then take the test. If you do the Cybrary.it videos you can count them for your Security+ CPE...two birds with one stone.

Good Luck
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security, there are other certification options which may be easier depending on your experience. Perhaps CHFI? CEH? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Totally depends on your background. I didn't take nearly as long as many/most to study for it but I had a pretty well rounded background in a lot of the topics and was under a time crunch. As with every time we see this sort of question, "it depends". You might be an amazing test taker with a photographic memory and a great infosec management history. You might also have been doing the same helpdesk job for 12+ years and barely heard of any of the involved concepts. I imagine you're somewhere in the middle, but no one can tell you how long you need to study something to pass.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I did it with about a month or so of really solid study, using Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide and CISSP 11th Hour. I woke up early and studied 2 hours before work each day, and then within about two weeks of the exam I studied some at night too. Passed 1st attempt. At the time had 7 years of security experience. It will depend on how good you are with studying and how much time you have to dedicate in that 1 month of studying.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would not risk $600 with only 1 month training for the CISSP. So far, 64.71% say no.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you've done infosec full-time for the last 10 years or so and have experience as an infosec manager, sure.
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A better poll would be, "How many years of full time infosec experience do you need to pass CISSP with <1mo of prep?"

I knocked it out in a week but again I'd been an infosec manager and had 14 years experience in infosec. A week should be plenty in that situation. Someone with 5 years on the job who's never managed or built an enterprise security program might be a ninja with Splunk or Wireshark or Kali but they'll need a lot more prep for the CISSP. It's a test for managers. Prep accordingly based on your level.
  • cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, if one chooses to read the CBK, you will likely need to spend 1.5 months on it alone even if you spend like 3+ hours on it every day (and maybe like 8 hours/day weekend). I tried that, and 1.5 months passed and frankly I ended up finishing like 90% of the text when the exam day came. icon_rolleyes.gif

For the exam that I took, I agreed a month of prep would have been more than plenty, but maybe I was just being lucky nothing particularly tricky was asked from my perspective ...

Just because you can finish in a month doesn't mean you should. The study is to prep/reinforce you as a practitioner, and cramming for an exam pass is not the best attitude as an infosec professional, if the knowledge are not going to retain effectively. Of course, I wouldn't recall the minute details now that more than half a year has passed, so while I am busy collecting CPEs, I plan to review the materials again upon completion of my first anniversary. For me I consider the knowledge more important than the cert itself.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    If you pass the CISSP, why would you even want to maintain Security+? It can be done in one month, but not without considerable experience in Infosec (reiterating what has already been said). I have nearly 4 years in a hybrid system/infosec role and I needed nearly 4-5 months to feel confident to pass the exam.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been in a system administration role primarily though I would say I am comfortable with security, some topics more than others. I don't take tests well though and like I said I don't have a lot of time to study. The Security+ was the easiest test I can remember taking but I have failed the VCP and some Microsoft certs I assume the CISSP would be closer to the difficulty of the VCP/MCSE possibly harder?

Id like to maintain the Security+ just for the sake of having it, I know the CISSP would trump it.

I looked through the "I passed" threads and Eric Conrad's book was recommended but would you guys say Sybex is better or should I just get that one also?

As far as the CEU for my Security+ looks like I would get 15 for the CISSP through Cybrary, I could get 9 from work, and maybe another 7 from a conference I went to which would still leave me short 19 suggestions on the easiest way to get those remaining CEU over the next month?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Plenty of ways to gather CPEs. Lookup up the "freebie CPEs" thread.