Options

What kind of job I should try to target and what salary can I expect with CCNA Sec +

lukingluking Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been working in IT for over 15 years (Networking, troubleshooting, software testing, helpdesk) and touch basic security stuff everyday but not the hardcore security functions. I have CCNA in R+S and Security apart from Sec+. I was hoping to go for CISSP before starting a job search in pure InfoSec field but it looks like a mission impossible to clear cissp due to my limited exposure to Security concepts.
If I were to start looking for a position in Info-Security, what kind of position you recommend me to start looking at? And any idea what salary range can be expected in Chicago or Toronto?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Network security? Firewalls and such maybe. As for the CISSP, with 15 years of experience have you really looked at the 8 domains to see if you have 4 years covering at least 2 of them since you have the Sec+ already? You might surprise yourself.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Network security? Firewalls and such maybe. As for the CISSP, with 15 years of experience have you really looked at the 8 domains to see if you have 4 years covering at least 2 of them since you have the Sec+ already? You might surprise yourself.
    Danielm7 - Thanks for replying. Yes I do feel that I "may" be able to convince them that I have more than 4 years of experience but in the end the final answer is up to them.
    I have my heart in tacking CISSP exam, its contents and questions tickle me (LOL). I would live to go full steam ahead for it but the uncertainty about getting full CISSP designation is a becoming a big stumbling block
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not just look at indeed.com for those certifications in the locations you are looking at, and then see what the comparative salaries are on glassdoor.com ?
    I think you'll find what you are looking for there.
  • Options
    renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of the biggest myths I see on this board is that you need CISSP to work in infosec. If that were true no one would ever meet the requirements to get CISSP.

Just figure out what jobs you're interested in, see how you measure up to the desired qualifications, and fill any major gaps. You're already qualified for a Network Security Analyst job based on the qualifications you already listed. Get on the job boards and linkedin and get your resume out there.
  • Options
    renacido wrote: »
    One of the biggest myths I see on this board is that you need CISSP to work in infosec. If that were true no one would ever meet the requirements to get CISSP.

Just figure out what jobs you're interested in, see how you measure up to the desired qualifications, and fill any major gaps. You're already qualified for a Network Security Analyst job based on the qualifications you already listed. Get on the job boards and linkedin and get your resume out there.
    renacido
    Thanks for the informative post. The two reasons I am keen on getting cissp before InfoSec job are 1. Better prospects with CISSP and 2. I already have a decent job paying well if not very well. I don't want to get a job in InfoSec worth 50% paycut which will deflate the morale before I begin to move up the ladder.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    A lot of people pass CISSP without any info sec experience. Dont underestimate yourself.
    CCNA-sec = SOC jobs, firewall, vpn, etc.
  • Options
    OK - one more question
    If I get sec+, will it help me get more $$?
    Or CCNA-sec > Sec+ anyways?
    I wish there was a simple chart somewhere that could average salary of a Sec+ vs CCNA (Sec) vs CISSP vs CCIE (Sec) considering all other factors such as location/experience/industry etc. to be same. At least a rough approximation.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just a cert is not going get a return on any specific value in terms of salary... Your experience and how well you can apply your skills towards a company's goal is going to get you a salary. Certs just help get you past HR for jobs, yes, higher certs help get you past HR for higher jobs. Don't go into them thinking they automatically get you a job or certain salary though.
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Why InfoSec? Please tell me you want to do this, because you find the work interesting... and not, for the money.

A CISSP is like a high school diploma for most security professionals. You want to have it down the road if you are serious about the field. Otherwise, Sec+ can get you started.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just a cert is not going get a return on any specific value in terms of salary... Your experience and how well you can apply your skills towards a company's goal is going to get you a salary. Certs just help get you past HR for jobs, yes, higher certs help get you past HR for higher jobs. Don't go into them thinking they automatically get you a job or certain salary though.

++ This is dead on. I know this is the tech exams forum, but the certs aren't the only thing you need. No chart could possible take all the different variables into consideration to determine a salary (sometimes even luck). I know a lot of people who don't have a single cert or a degree and make well into the 6 figures in IT. One of them is fairly clueless technically, but he can play the corporate politics game very well, makes huge jumps with each job change and BSes very well to the people above him.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    ++ This is dead on. I know this is the tech exams forum, but the certs aren't the only thing you need. No chart could possible take all the different variables into consideration to determine a salary (sometimes even luck). I know a lot of people who don't have a single cert or a degree and make well into the 6 figures in IT. One of them is fairly clueless technically, but he can play the corporate politics game very well, makes huge jumps with each job change and BSes very well to the people above him.
    True but gentle folks like us who cant BS at all, certs can help get the foot in the door.
    And to answer The Expert's question about $ vs love - Yes I am lovin' it icon_smile.gif