Options

Be careful what you wish for in IT jobs......

fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
I've done Desktop Support for several years, and have been working on my Cisco certs since last summer. Got a couple already. I've been trying to make the jump to Data Center work for a while, and finally got hired at a company for network operations center and data center technician. It's not a data center per se, just a regular company with about 700 square feet of computer room. Calling this a data center is like calling Miley Cyrus a good role model.

We do a little of everything. Handle service tickets, order parts, configure routers and switches, we are bringing a few of our small data centers to consolidate them into fewer bigger ones, etc.

But this is a big step for me, and it is a bit intimidating. So far in the first week, I've been exposed to having to know something about BGP and MPLS (I'm not even a CCNA yet, those are CCNP topics!), in the process of watching someone else configure switches, I've seen him use Cisco IOS commands for setting up VLANs that I have NEVER seen in any training video or youtube video, EVER!

And I know nearly nothing about MPLS.

We are going to be replacing switches and core switches that have 100-200 Ethernet cables going into them in a somewhat messy fashion. It's not that I can't handle it, but I don't want to be the new guy who accidentally took the building offline during working hours.

So what do I do?

Never let them see you sweat, I guess. Keep a stiff upper lip (from 3 stooges tv shows). Fake it 'till you make it. Learn fast.

If I can get some good time in this place, I can learn and move onto better paying jobs. This is the hard part. I hope my multi-million dollar lottery win comes soon, so I can retire!

Comments

• Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Congrats on your new job. Sound like a great opportunity for you to grow, but please don't fake anything. Those who are confident in what they don't know and aren't afraid to ask questions usually experiences the most growth. Good luck!
  • Options
    updatepediaupdatepedia Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Relax. employers know (at least the good ones) know that there is a learning curve. I knew nothing of VMware when I was hired for my present job, and they knew that. Yes, they hired me. It has been a great learning experience. So, absorb the knowledge..
    Also, CONGRATULATIONS!!!icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats. I definitely agree with what pevangel said. You definitely don't want to "fake it until you break it" while you're on your way to "making it". Just be sure to know when you are over your head and need to ask questions so you don't mess something up.
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    I've seen him use Cisco IOS commands for setting up VLANs that I have NEVER seen in any training video or youtube video, EVER!

Congratulations on your new job. For some reason, after reading your post, the following quote popped into my head: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate...

BTW, the quoted line intrigued me very much and I was wondering if you could elaborate?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    But this is a big step for me, and it is a bit intimidating. So far in the first week, I've been exposed to having to know something about BGP and MPLS (I'm not even a CCNA yet, those are CCNP topics!), in the process of watching someone else configure switches, I've seen him use Cisco IOS commands for setting up VLANs that I have NEVER seen in any training video or youtube video, EVER!

Heh... is he using old switches? Older versions of IOS would force you to go into the VLAN database to create and configure your VLANs. I can't remember off the top of my head if the newest versions of IOS even let you get into the VLAN database like that anymore but I remember that the CCNA briefly touched on it years ago in older versions of the test and I've seen it in old versions of code as a necessity.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started an XP to 7 contract job in December 2013 for 4-5 months, then began a desktop role in September 2014, then moved on to a network engineer role in April 2015. It was overwhelming at first. The company has redundant everything, a DR site, and 110 branches. We're using stuff I never heard of nor every touched - like riverbeds, F5s, etc. I was completely overwhelmed, and I had just started WGU. I'm working on the CCNP and just finished Route, and things are not nearly as overwhelming as they were. But, I can relate to how that feels. I was started off easy with IOS upgrades and new MPLS and broadband circuits. I'm doing alot more these days, and I'm starting to piece together the other technologies to understand how they work at a high level, like VoIP. Just take it a day at a time is really all I can say. You'd rather be thrown into the mix early on in life than have to wait many years.

It's funny you mention MPLS and BGP though. I had no idea how MPLS worked (and truthfully, I couldn't tell you exactly what is happening inside the ISP world but I'd like to build a lab next year to get that knowledge). I understand BGP a lot more since it was in the CCNP Route. Lots of conversations with my boss on those two topics until I finally really was getting it. I need to read a QoS book at some point because I don't know it at all, and we're doing heavy QoS. You have to pick your battles one day at a time though.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Dont take it as careful what you wish for. Take it as OH MAN I AM GOING TO LEARN SO MUCH.

I just took a role as a Sr Engineer with so much equipment I have no experience on. You know what? They still accepted me. They know I dont have experience on it but I am going to here shortly and it is going to do nothing but help me write my own ticket.

Keep at it :) Study and learn. Keep moving forward.
  • Options
    bruunbruun Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same position as I was a couple of years ago, accepted a new job and know I still have to learn alot of new things. As kohr-ah mentioned have a positive look on it. Don't use your poker face, it might send out the wrong signal. Just show your interest, ask questions and willingness to learn. You will notice that people are always willing to explain, and 99% love it. The other 0.1% are lacking passion for their job.

If you don't know anything just ask, grab a book / blog and start reading about the subject to get a firm understanding. It will be noticed.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just keep asking questions and learning. Unfamiliar technologies being thrown at you can be intimidating but unless you lied during your interview, then they should know you need some training. If you don't know how to do something, tell them that and have them walk you through it. They should appreciate you wanting to make sure you're doing something correctly rather than just winging it.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, this isn't a bad thing... this is a fantastic opportunity. It is a very difficult path for many folks to get offered a job that leaps from desktop to what you are doing... and you seem to have done this at a good sized company, so even better. It will be a fire hose, but it will be worth it.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is an awesome opportunity. I would be super happy to be in it like you are. Soak up that knowledge!
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Youll be fine. Congrats. Experience is KING!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new position!! Keep on learning icon_thumright.gif

When I moved from a desktop support role to engineering/architect there was a huge learning curve. I still got hired even though many technologies I was unfamiliar with or had little exposure. This new job you should use it as an opportunity you got this. Many blessings ahead. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! It's going to be great to have those problems!
    icon_lol.gif
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position! It sounds like an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and improve your abilities.
  • Options
    Heh... is he using old switches? Older versions of IOS would force you to go into the VLAN database to create and configure your VLANs. I can't remember off the top of my head if the newest versions of IOS even let you get into the VLAN database like that anymore but I remember that the CCNA briefly touched on it years ago in older versions of the test and I've seen it in old versions of code as a necessity.

The switches were 2960X's. 3 of them stacked with a newer version of stackwise cables. If I see those commands again I will write them down and post them here.

So far in this place I have seen a 24 drive QNAP, a NetApp, allegedly with dual layer RAID, 9000 series Nexus switches running 10Gig premade lines terminated in SFP modules, F5 load balancers, a 2U 2800 series switch, a couple medium chassis Cisco switches that seem to have 2 power supplies each that measured a good 6 inches square on top of 4 blades, and a rack full of Dell servers being used for virtual machines. I'm probably forgetting a few things at the moment.

There's at least 7 system administrators in the place, I think one of them specializes in security, and 4-5 in my group (networking).

As many have said here, I am going to do my best to learn and gain experience from all this, It is quite a step up from any desktop support contract job I ever had.
  • Options
    Updates. The medium chassis Cisco switches are 4506 E's, with 1 supervisor engine, 4 blades of Ethernet ports, and 1 blockoff plate.

Today, me and the somewhat lazy guy who is training me went to pick up an HP procurve 2848 switch at another location. I've never done anything on an HP switch before, I'm all Cisco in my training. This switch was supposed to be used to supply about 10 computers in a rendering farm with internet access, but the support guy said they couldn't plug in more than 1 PC at a time to it and get a connection.

My lazy trainer had me fiddling around with it back in our office all afternoon, running SHOW commands and hooking up to it from a laptop. While he looked at facebook and other non-work. I don't know why we just didn't wipe the whole switch config out and give an ip address and default gateway to the default vlan, that's what I wanted to do.

And all this cost me $4 extra in parking, plus he wanted me to take him to his bank on the way to the office location, near the 'hood where he lives and the bus takes him to and from work, and now he knows what my car looks like. I had to let him ride in my car too, which I didn't want to do.

But this idiot was so lazy that he wants to take it back with us having done NOTHING to it. What a joke. I knew he wasn't someone I wanted to associate with the minute I saw him.
  • Options
    6 days in the new job, and the people I work with / for are starting to get on my nerves.

There's B, the manager, and J, the one doing most of my training.

Had a problem with an HP procurve 2848 switch, it would connect one computer to internet access, but not more than one, no matter how it was done. The company has mostly Cisco switchgear, but a few HP units too.

So J comes in this morning, 15 minutes late or so, and spreads a big sandwich out on his table, and gets on facebook. After a few minutes, I asked a question on the switch, and he says he'll talk about it after he finished breakfast, in not the nicest tone. I could have said a lot to him right then and there for his attitude, but #1, I need the job and paychecks, and #2, being that he lives in the 'hood nearby, I expected no more.

After a while, B comes in. As with J, I ask a question, and get half an answer, then he is immediately off to something else, without the slightest concern that I might have more questions.

My idea was that the switch has a messed up config file, but I've never touched an HP switch, all my training is on Cisco IOS, although the HP is similar. But they wanted to play games and screw around all day, having me check and adjust and check all over again, and all I could do was keep saying "no, it still only will feed internet to one PC at a time".

Finally, near quitting time, B says go ahead and wipe out the switch config file and start it fresh. Which I did, but I must have put something wrong in the vlan, address, or default gateway, because now it won't connect at all. And since it was within an hour of quitting time, B was gone for the day. So more adventures with this POS HP switch tomorrow.

I think I'll continue my job search, they say it is easier to get a job when you already have one.
  • Options
    I like reading your updates. Just a couple of comments, you may take them as you will.

1. The networking concepts you learned in CCNA, still do apply to HP switches. HP or Cisco, doesn't matter, misconfigured default route will cause the problem on both. Here is my suggestion. Troubleshoot the networking issue, not HP or Cisco issue. Once you find what is the cause, then you can go and look up HP commands on the Internet to fix it.
    Look up Cisco troubleshooting guides. Read them. Use Google to convert IOS to HP commands.

2. Leave the man and his food alone.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, sometimes folks go into IT because they think that they won't have to relate to other human beings. I'm not accusing you of this, but you've got to keep it in mind when dealing with some IT personnel. There are going to be some no matter where you go. Stick to diving deep into the technologies and shrug off the rudeness and/or unprofessional ism unless you deem it necessary to address.
    And sometimes a little stress and strain may shorten your patience, so take a couple of breaths and try to relax a little. They chose you, and now everyone is most interested in making things work well. Except the jerks. Who are just jerks and will always be that way.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Take it 1 day at a time. If your day ends at 5 and you aren't on call just go home. Take it as work and get your experience and re-evaluate in 3 months but leave work at work and head home and forget about it. Trust me I stress out easily which will eventually lead to panic attacks if you let it keep bugging you or anger issues (dont have those thankfully).

Still sucks at 3 months? Start looking. Otherwise it may not be so bad in 3 months.
  • Options
    The adventured of B and J continue. This morning, B brought me a 24 port switch (again, an HP instead of one of the 2 Cisco ones I know we have in the closet), and I set it up on my table. Got it connected to the internet line and 2 computers at once, so it was working better.

Then B tells me to change the VLANs on the switch to these new addresses. He quickly opens up MremoteNG on his computer, A program I had never even heard of until I started here, does a few quick clicks and scrolls way down a list and says "put these addresses on the vlans", then tells me to go to my desk, open up MremoteNG, and re-find the addresses. I say "hold on a moment please, let me get this pen and paper and write them down right here from your screen". He looks at me and says "You are really starting to piss me off".

And there was absolutely no fair reason for this. I don't know what his problem is, but he was rapidly pushing me to a point of pissed-off-ness that is hard to come back from. I'll be as apologetic and reasonable as I can, but once I get quiet..... something is going to go wrong, and I was almost there today.

Anyway, I got the addresses and got out of there, gathered up my laptop and the switch, and left to go to the other building. After a while I called my temp agency to report these problems and that I might be job searching again soon, and I took some work time to email about 7 other agencies to tell them to keep their eyes open for me. I was beyond the point of caring anymore. I even told the lady in the building I went to, who associates with B and J, that I'd be surprised if I were still there at the end of the week, I'm starting to job search again. She was easier to talk to.

After lunchtime, I was writing through Office Communicator to J, and we worked out some of the problems. Seems the network switch in the closet had 2 ports that had turned to the orange color, and it was the 2 ports we had been using, after some trial and error and turning off port security to one of them, he trunked one port and got it green again. After that a few more adjustments on one of the HP switch vlans, then the day was over.

I'll go straight back to that other building tomorrow, avoiding B and J in person, and getting FREE parking.

More drama to come, I'm sure. Since we all are veterans, I wonder if they are testing me in some way.

I've met a variety of personality types during my 4 years in IT, but B and J are by far the 2 biggest jackasses I've met so far.

HP switch commands are similar to Cisco, but there some differences. Like this whole ip helper-address thing, and tagged and untagged ports. Cisco has none of that, at least not worded that way.
  • Options
    HP switch commands are similar to Cisco, but there some differences. Like this whole ip helper-address thing, and tagged and untagged ports. Cisco has none of that, at least not worded that way.

ip helper-address is exactly the same in IOS. Tagged or untagged refers to dot1q. Untagged ports are your access ports in a VLAN, tagged ports are trunks.

I would bring up the issue with person B to your supervisor. Perhaps ask if you could get somebody else as a trainer.

Edit: I reread your first post and you were really excited about this opportunity. Don't let it slip away because of person B & J. On the other note, if you are told to do something without an explanation, use Google and do it on your own. You will most likely learn more that way through trial and error.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Kreken wrote: »
    I would bring up the issue with person B to your supervisor. Perhaps ask if you could get somebody else as a trainer.

Seeing as B is his manager, I think there in lies his problem.
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    OP, I've been in a similar situation with difficult coworkers at my current job. First couple weeks they didn't want to train me, acted annoyed when I asked questions, etc. I'd suggest sticking with it and try to find common ground with the coworkers. It will suck at first while you are unfamiliar with the job but once you are comfortable you will have to deal with them less and can be on your own more. Try researching stuff on your own when you have time. I'd suggest keeping it professional and sticking it out longer and things will improve for you.

If you stick with it maybe after some time you will be able to transfer departments to a new group. It seems like you are dealing with incompetents so you may stand out lol.
  • Options
    DoubleNNsDoubleNNs Member Posts: 2,015 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've almost always had bad training experiences at new jobs. And often times, inexplicibly, either the person on the way out, or the weakest link of the bunch is told to do training for the new onboarded candidate. I guess management is short-sighted and thinks that the more skilled people can't be taken away from work or the queue will build up.

I agree with using Google and trying a few things independently. At the least, you're constant questions won't bother the person training you. At the most you'll learn more in-depth. And when you come to your trainer with questions, they will be more specific questions that they either know or they don't. Don't ask them to troubleshoot for you.

Even if the people are hard to work with, try your best to take full advantage of the opportunity given and soak up all the knowledge. Working on both HP and Cisco devices will help build your networking fundamentals and have you relying less on route memorization of commands.

Good luck. Hopefully in a week or two your updates will start becoming a bit more positive. :) Hang in there!
    Goals for 2018:
    Certs: RHCSA, LFCS: Ubuntu, CNCF CKA, CNCF CKAD | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, AWS Solutions Architect Pro, AWS Certified Security Specialist, GCP Professional Cloud Architect
    Learn: Terraform, Kubernetes, Prometheus & Golang | Improve: Docker, Python Programming
    To-do | In Progress | Completed
  • Options
    LS1LS1 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some of your stories made me chuckle a little, but that aside, it sounds like you're working with a couple of buffoons if it took them so long to check port security on a switch port that wasn't passing traffic... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Yesterday I got to talking with the network architect. He was much more reasonable, someone I could actually communicate with. And I hoped it seemed like I was ignoring B and J while I stood there nearby and talked directly to him, because that was part of the image I was going for.

Anyway, he had me email him some show commands from the HP switch, like show ip, show vlan, show run, etc, and he ended up totally redoing it, the ip addresses and such things weren't right at all. He also reduced the number of VLANs on the switch from 4 to 3. I don't know why it needed more than one, the switch was doing a very basic job of having one ethernet line in to 10 graphics rendering computers. That's all.

I took it back to the building and reinstalled it, and it still had the connection problem. Then I got the architect on the phone, he had me hook up my laptop to the console port, and over the wireless to my laptop, he went in and did more untagging of ports.

Then after I left for the day, he rebooted it, and today it was working after we changed it to a different ethernet cable that had its wall port within the room it would be locked up in. So finally some success. If I never have to touch another HP switch ever, that'll be just fine with me.

And after we got done around 11 am, I contacted B and J, and B said stay at the building the rest of the day for anything that might happen. So I did, it was a quiet, peaceful day.

Now it's nearly 8pm on Friday evening, and the temp agency hasn't called to say I'm fired yet, so I should be ok for next week, and another full paycheck.
  • Options
    Update. Got fired today.

B and J were both out yesterday, working "remotely", probably sleeping late and doing household stuff. So it was a good day for me in the office. A nice quiet day.

Just before lunch, B calls one of the other people in my office section and gives me an assignment. I don't know why he didn't tell me directly about it. I'm supposed to look up a database of switch configurations, all of which were 5-6 years old, in one part of a shared drive, then use MremoteNG to go into those same switches, do a show run command, and copy and paste new versions of those configs to the same shared drive, to update the records.

It sounded like a waste of time makework assignment to me, and I didn't do it for an hour or two, but then I got into it and it was ok. Something to pass the time.

I came into work today, and we had two group meetings scheduled, one at 830 and one at 10. The 830 "meeting" ended up being just me and B in a conference room, where he didn't waste much time telling me word had gotten back to him that I was speaking negatively about him and J, and he wasn't going to put up with it, so that was it.

I started my job search a full week ago, so I wasn't extremely disappointed, but I could have used one or two more full weeks of paychecks here to knock down some bills.

So my first question was "so if you knew you were going to get rid of me, why didn't you have the agency call me last night, instead of having me come in today and spend $8 on parking?". He replied that he wanted to do it face to face. And I can respect that, most company managers will be a coward and wait for you to leave at the end of the day, and then go behind your back and call the temp agency, then you get a call when you're on your way home that the job is over. It is pretty rare for someone to be enough of a man to do it face to face. I've wanted to get dis-employed face to face for so long that when it actually happened it was a surprise.

So, again to my surprise, when I walked back to the parking lot, the attendant saw me coming and gave my $8 back! BONUS! Then I came home and signed up online for unemployment and started applying for jobs.

I'll get unemployment, a good $400 a week after taxes are held out. I wasn't at this job long enough to earn 6X my weekly benefit rate, so they will look at my previous job, from which I was laid off legitimately on January 4th, but that job's money didn't count towards unemployment until April 1.

It is bad that I know my states' unemployment rules so very well? Life teaches you little tips like this.icon_rolleyes.gif