Options

DNS question

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was playing around with my webserver and DNS server on my server 2012 machine and i have come across something that is puzzling. My DC is called jedi.starwars.com and just a default first site name for the website that has a binding of jedi.starwars.com. I decided to play around and enter in an alias record on the DNS server for StarWars.com | The Official Star Wars Website to go to my DNS server and site, i binded the StarWars.com | The Official Star Wars Website to the default first site and wanted to see what would happen. It didn't do much, i have since then deleted the binding from the webserver and the dns server alias record, flushed the dns cache and cleared the cache of the dns server also. I try to go to StarWars.com | The Official Star Wars Website again and i get nothing but the "This site cant be reached" message on google.
I'm wondering what has gone on here and why its not going back to the normal starwars site?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    BornToBeMildBornToBeMild Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Browser cache?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    What does nslookup or ping tell you?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    I only have a few records on my starwars.com zone and they're some domain client machines and another DC machine and the DC name "jedi" also on the records. There is no www. alias record now for "www.starwars.com" and i have cleared all the caches.
    When i type "www.starwars.com" on nslookup it gives me a message saying "cant find "www.starwars.com" Non-existent domain" But when i type in starwars.com which is my domain it gives me my name servers for my domain.
    I would also like to point out that i could originally get to www.starwars.com on the internet, but since i put that alias record in and binded www.starwars.com to my IIS default first site it hasn't worked. But as I've said, I've deleted the alias record and got rid of the binding and have returned it back to normal but it still doesnt work.
    Thanks for the help
  • Options
    So, looks like your DNS server is authoritative for the domain starwars.com. This means also that it is "authoritative" for subdomains of starwars.com. This is because of the recursive way that DNS works.

You can get around this by several methods.
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    So, looks like your DNS server is authoritative for the domain starwars.com. This means also that it is "authoritative" for subdomains of starwars.com. This is because of the recursive way that DNS works.

You can get around this by several methods.

What would they be? I just find it curious that it did work previously and went to the normal website when i didnt put in that www. record and even after deleting it it still doesn't work.
  • Options
    You can create a delegation for that sub domain (ie send all queries for jedi.starwars.com to these nameservers). You can create only the records within that domain (so no entry for starwars.com, but entries for each server like dc1.starwars.com, jedi.starwars.com) . You can create a record just for StarWars.com | The Official Star Wars Website. Probably you can even do a conditional forwarder.