Options

Salary Negotiation (Govt Jobs)

Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning, everyone.

So I recently had an interview for a help desk position with the neighboring county. I think the interview went great and the people who interviewed me seem like a fantastic group to work with. On top of that, it's a small department, so I'd get some cross-training with network/security/server/etc...which is a big reason I was drawn to the job in the first place. I was told that I could expect to hear something within a week or two and I want to be prepared in case they extend an offer.

The salary range provided in the job description was 39k-44k. I currently make 42k, which isn't much, but it's enough that my family can live comfortably. My experience with government jobs is that they'll typically want to start you at the bottom of the salary range. I've never negotiated this before because I've needed those jobs in the past. This is the first time I've felt comfortable negotiating a salary. It's a bit longer of a commute, so I'd like to make a little more money to cover the cost of time and gas (not the employer's problem, I know), but I'm not sure if there's any flexibility for negotiation with government jobs. Does anyone have experience with this? I'd also really like to hear about some of you would go about this process. My experience has typically been: "Hi, I'm so-and-so with HR and we'd like to extend an offer for the position of X. Starting salary is $X. Are you interested?" Do you say something to the effect of "Thank you, but I think I'm worth $X."? Do you tell them that you'll need to call them back? Email them?

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    It varies. Usually govt jobs are set salary. You can try to negotiate if you have more experience and degree(s). You can calculate and show them your current insurance VS their insurance, benefits, and etc.

Show your case and say that you are losing money. You need more to break even.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd guess that you'd have more luck negotiating other things like additional teleworking, flex schedule, etc. That way you cut your expenses with the commute being longer and maybe they can match your current salary?

Obviously I'd hope/shoot for more initially but if you really like the job and position then maybe compromise with a lateral salary move with more teleworking and flexibility?
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Your raises are pretty much fixed in the public sector and you don't get to negotiate for more based on performance. I've always asked for a higher starting salary when going for government jobs for this very reason.

The last government job interview I went to they said they start at 76k. I told them I was looking to make a minimum of 105k. They came back later with 101k. I said no and told them I had another offer already, then they came up to 105k. I still went with the other offer but you can see that there's a good bit of flexibility with the starting pay. YMMV.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best time to negotiate is when you don't actually need the job. You can ask for $44K, and if they say no, don't let them go below $42K. If they won't meet you there, skip the job.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    It varies. Usually govt jobs are set salary. You can try to negotiate if you have more experience and degree(s). You can calculate and show them your current insurance VS their insurance, benefits, and etc.

Show your case and say that you are losing money. You need more to break even.
    Pretty much...that range is fairly tight so it's unlikely they have much flexibility. In the end most people who work for the government aren't doing it because the pay is unbelievable.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'm qualified enough that it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask for some sort of compensation. Negotiating telework days is something I haven't thought of, but that seems like a really great compromise. I'm just worried about giving the impression that I'm more concerned about money than I am the job-- and whether or not this could burn a bridge in the future.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »

Unless you have specialized experience, chances are they will give you a take or leave it offer. I do know one person that was offered a federal position and negotiated a higher starting salary, but he has skilled / experience the agency desired.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    In the GS world you can negotiate quite a bit if you NOT already in the system. We had someone come in straight GS-13 Step 10 from a contract role. She even got 100% telework approved! I think it depends what section of govt but federal GS it is entirely possible.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    I've also heard of some wonky pay adjustments on the federal side. My current situation would have me leaving a state job and moving to a county position. Not sure if my time as a state employee would factor into any sort of pay adjustments on the county side or not-- might be something I'd just have to wait and see about.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Russ5813 wrote: »
    I've also heard of some wonky pay adjustments on the federal side. My current situation would have me leaving a state job and moving to a county position. Not sure if my time as a state employee would factor into any sort of pay adjustments on the county side or not-- might be something I'd just have to wait and see about.
    You could use it as a negotiation factor, at the least. Having government work experience would show you're already familiar with government policies, etc.