Options

Is A Degree Worth A Shot To Get Into the I.T Field?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
Specifically the Networking aspect?

Here's the degree I will be going for while starting out with the Network+ certification:
http://www.waynecc.edu/networking/degree/

I will also transfer that to a bachelor's degree.

I have and I always had a genuine interest in the Networking aspect of information technology, I'm getting out the Army soon and figured I'd pursue my true passion. It's a little discouraging hearing about the outsourced I.T jobs and what not though, what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think thats a great start. Have you thought about attending WGU? You get certs while getting your Bachelors. Nonetheless, you are on the right track.
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Network+ is a great start if you're interested in moving into the networking IT field
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, they tick the important boxes: Accredited to aware Associate's Degrees, and also partnered with Comptia, Cisco, Vmware etc. Cisco is the big one for networking.

They are a Cisco Networking Academy, so it should be a good program. Just make sure you sit the certification exams as you go. I know some people that have gone through Cisco Net Acad, and think they are better to leave the certification exams until later so that they last longer. But there's a risk that you will forget, or just put off forever.

Networking is to some extent a little safer from outsourcing, since it does need hands on, and if security is ever a concern (and it usually is), you want to deal with someone you can easily sue icon_wink.gif

Get as much hands on as you can, meet as many people as you can. It's not just what you know, it's also who you know :)
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great advice from all the above, you cannot go wrong with a Bachelor's Degree, it never expires and fulfills requirements for a lot of job roles. I would definitely go for it.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course it is.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    For perspective, I would not have gotten an interview without nearing completion to my degree. And lo and behold, I got the job. Definitely pursue that degree as it can only help more than hurt.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Not necessarily. I would suggest going to CCNA and skipping network +.
    Dont worry about outsourcing. That has always been part of the game. They can always outsource anywhere in US even if its govt jobs. They can outsource outside US if its a corporation just like Cisco.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Cisco CCNA is the entry level networking cert so that is your start.

Forget about CompTIA Network+ as it is worthless.

If your US Army, then work on Skillport CCNA classes.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Network+ isn't useless. It does lose it's value once you get your CCNA, but it's still a well-known cert that HR will recognize to get your foot in the door.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got an A.A.S. in Networking technologies from a community college in NC and I definitely think it was worth it. Never got around to going for a B.S. though icon_sad.gif
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    markulous wrote: »
    Network+ isn't useless. It does lose it's value once you get your CCNA, but it's still a well-known cert that HR will recognize to get your foot in the door.

Well in my mind, I don't want a foot in the door to some help desk or noc doing repetitive work that goes nowhere fast.

Network+ barely covers subnetting.

Network+ doesn't cut it nor any CompTIA stuff...Not worth the effort, time or money.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Well in my mind, I don't want a foot in the door to some help desk or noc doing repetitive work that goes nowhere fast.

Network+ doesn't cut it nor any CompTIA stuff...Not worth the effort, time or money.

I believe that they are doing Network+ as it is part of the AAS. It's stuff you have to learn at some point - even if you go directly to CCIE -, the only question is whether to pay the money for the certification. If it's included in the course fees anyway, then why not?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »

The Dept. Of Defense disagrees with you.