Options

What do I need to know, ERP

DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm going for an interview for a system administrator in a couple days and one of the things they would like is knowledge of ERP administration. I know the basics of what ERP is and does for a company, but what would I as a systems administrator need to know?

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    As an administrator, I would say maybe modification or tweaking of the different modules? Maybe processing certain things in one of the modules? I know when I did IAM for a bank, we used their Oracle ERP product (the name escapes me) to create, modify, and remove contingent worker records. Thought it was weird and should be with HR but they had us doing it.

By the way, nice username. Do you daytrade?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    I do day trade.

Thanks, so doesn't sound like a big deal to me, just new software to learn.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    You would want to know the system architecture, support structure, how it is installed, repaired, upgraded.

Also depending on the company, you will want to understand the user administration, roles and report setup. Also you may want to understand system dependencies for overall upgrades.

System requirement wise, you will want to understand system requirements and bandwidth requirements to managing patching, data center upgrades, virtualization ect.

You may want to understand the database structure as well.

A lot of this will be site specific though. Understanding the core IT concepts to be able to discuss these areas is the key point.
  • Options
    Excellent points, thanks philz