Options

Will this switch work?

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I just got a used 3524 XL PWR switch from a friend who was trying to get rid of them from an office seeing they don't need them. Got it for a good $50 deal and haven't been home yet with it to plug it in and test it. Seeing I have 2x 2960s, will a 3524 do me any good with the CCENT/CCNA exams?
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    in general, a switch like that is worth about 50 cents as scrap. But, it is a poe switch. So, if you have old devices that use the old Cisco proprietary poe standard, you could use the switch to power them. Other than that it is useless.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah unfortunately $50 was a rip off, but I suppose you can find some use for it. Will work as a switch in your STP environment though the commands differ from the current curriculum so you'll want to concentrate your configuration efforts elsewhere.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Yes but I would recommend using gns3 or packet tracer.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately everyone is correct. They aren't worth much, you can buy them for about $20 on EBAY, with a 90 day warranty. But it will help you study for your CCNA. Before you buy from someone next time. Check around for average pricing.
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips guys. Lesson learned: Research and compare first before opening the wallet. I managed to find another 2960 for $40.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill