Options

Recruiter->Hiring Agency->Client....WTF?

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, got a call and an email today for a position in the NOVA area from a recruiter that works for NPD Global. I recognized the job desc right away as I have seen it many times before and I knew who the client was. So I told him what I made and what range I was looking for and he gave me a quote 5k above that (I have no intention of taking the job). Sent me an email to confirm and I would be working for BountyJobs for the client. Question is I have never gone through a recruiter for one company then ANOTHER hiring agency...is this common practice? Also, just curious, how much did I loose accepting the offer via the recruiter vs direct hire with the client(typical percentage)?

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You being in MD/DC area will give you a LOT of options to choose from. Don't settle on this crap, and move on. Always go direct!

BTW...Where in MD are you located?
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not the same but I interviewed with a company directly who then made me go through a recruiter. Why give them money and take it from me when they did nothing?
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    always go direct. the recruiter will get a cut of your paycheck.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am at Odenton, right next to Ft. Meade....

......got another call later from a recruiter wanting to hire me doing the same work but working another contract for a different company, I recognized the job desc for that as well. The first one is in NOVA and this one is in DC.

If I apply direct will they make me go through an outside recruiter if they are paying them to do the hiring?
  • Options
    oebankoleoebankole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just had same experience in maryland..These recruiting agencies are a joke sometimes.

Dont settle. Goodluck!
    B.Sc - Information Systems Management
  • Options
    billDFWbillDFW Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would be interested to learn diff recruiter / headhunter
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    billDFW wrote: »
    Would be interested to learn diff recruiter / headhunter
    A recruiter is someone who works for a company, that is trying to find employees for positions that their company has open. A headhunter is a third-party that finds employees for another company's open positions.
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know what it is like in the MD DC area, but in the pacific northwest a lot of companies won't even list positions except with recruiting firms. They want the flexibility that hiring a contractor gives them so they build that overhead into the bill rate and make it up by not having to pay benefits, L&I, unemployment insurance etc. If you get hired directly you don't automatically get that money. They will try and drive your rate or salary down in order to make up for the fact that they now cover those costs. In fact in a lot of cases if you go contract to hire they will list a conversion rate and it will be considerably less than what you are making as a contractor.
  • Options
    KennygrowKennygrow Banned Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dont sell ya self short