Options

What are your thoughts on "hireability", if you will?

John.John. Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, this is my first post here. Whoo! Ha...

Anyways, I'm a 0651-Cyber Network Operator in the US Marine Corps, and I'm not planning on reenlisting. What I don't know much about is how marketable I really am to the private IT sector, and what I should do to improve my weak areas.

Currently, I have 2 years left on my enlistment. As of right now I have CompTia's A+ and Sec+ under my belt, but I haven't really had much time for anything else. I'm actually on a 6 month deployment in the Pacific right now, creating and managing networks and server/storage systems supporting multi-national training operations for my battalion. My duties include designing the network/IP scheme for my battalion and how to connect to the Marine Corps tactical WAN, I manage on/off setting up satellite transmission equipment (VSAT/Linkway Modem) we use in the field, the physical creation of our LAN, programming our Cisco switches and routers, Virtualization of server's through ESXI, Server 2008r2/Server2012r2, STIG'ing server/workstation OS's to DISA standards, Creating our Active Directory Domain and securing it through GPO's and other tools, Monitoring network status using SolarWinds, small-ish scale SAN storage with Netapp equipment (though I have knowledge of NFS storage systems and how to create them as well-we don't use them for the Marines), very basic SQL operations (like deploying a SQL server so that an application can function with it, I'm not well versed with SQL queries, although I am learning on my own), workstation help desk functions as well as using RDP to remotely assist with client troubleshooting problems, as well as using Remedy to submit trouble tickets. I build new VM's and domains, and program semi-complex networking solutions on the equipment for every operation we have completed, and in the last 12 months we completed over 18 training operations.

In the next year, fitting it in time-wise as best I can (its not easy to find time being a comm guy in an infantry battalion), I plan to earn at least the ICND 1 and the MCSA certs. When I complete my contract, I have the option of going to college with the GI Bill, and im strongly considering either a 2 or 4 yr degree in IT. However, I'm curious as to where I stand in competition in the private sector. Any input is greatly appreciated! I love this field and I spend my free time learning. My goal is to be the best I can be and I strive to make myself better.

Comments

• Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you're being smart about planning your departure from the military while you still have a ways before you actually separate -- you're on the right track!

From what I can guess based on your message, I think your knowledge, experience, and cert plan will do you well for "hireability." The big questions that still need to be filled in, though, are things like where you'll be living and what kind of positions you'll be looking for.

They need IT everywhere, but there are certainly places where the demand is higher. So I'd start looking at job ads for areas you're considering and see what employers are asking for.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    It depends on the company. I would recommend you to apply as a DOD contractor. They have L3, Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, SAIC, and etc. Those guys will definitely hire you. You will be a priority since you are a veteran. They would probably put you as a network analyst or network security analyst. It is up to you where you want to go. Do you like networking, systems, security and etc. The base (air force, navy, army) IT usually doesnt do all. It is usually a group of desktop support group, help desk group, network/ NOC group, SOC security group, systems/VM/linux and etc. This all depends on what you really want to do.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First you have to consider why you are leaving the military. I say this because contractors hire a lot of former military but the environments can be similar due to that fact...so if you don't like the environment be aware of that. You are likely to score more points at a contractor and get a higher position than if you go to regular companies but based on what I have seen and what others say when they come out, you probably would be either a junior position or MAYBE a mid level.

Contractors probably will be a little more forgiving on the degree part but you should start working towards a 4 year because it will hold you back at some point.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    You should look into using TA for earning your degree while you are still in. You don't have to wait until you are out to use the GI Bill. And if you are already going to have a handful of certs you should look into WGU. Those certs will equal college credits.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I second using Tuition Assistance to take college courses that you are probably going to have to take anyway at any university that are going to be transferable such as Calculus(start at precalc if you have to), physics(most colleges will let you take algebra based physics vs calculus based), etc. I would also recommend taking as many CLEPs as you can with Analyzing Interpreting Literature, macro/micro economics, sociology/psychology being a good starting place depending on the degree you plan on getting. My last 9 days of terminal leave in the military I spent studying and taking 3 CLEP tests. I ended up taking two more while in college. That saved me a semester's worth of classes that I didn't hsve to take. I would only recommend those if you are going to attend a brick and mortar university. If you are going to go the WGU route I would just start knocking out certs before enrolling.

If you have a security clearance I would recommend deciding on a degree and finishing as many classes as you can while you are active duty. There are a lot of jobs requiring security clearances, but if you have one yours will become inactive after two years of not working in a position requiring one. If it takes you 3 years to finish your undergrad before you enter the job market again your clearance will be inactive. A way around this is to potentially get an internship that requires it while you are in school, take a night job while in school that requires it, or strategically placed leave of absence.

Above all you just need to decide what you want to do. I do think an active security clearance is a good way to get your first civilian job, but with your background it might be an essy transition to getting that first job.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    If its a DoD contract, you will find that having a degree is a requirement quite often. Not every time, but certain companies will actually refuse to interview or even look at your credentials if you dont have one (happened to me a year ago).
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In my opinion you have a great skillset. I agree with your plans to do ICND1 but would encourage you to complete ICND2 before attempting MCSA. The reason for this is that you're halfway to your CCNA and might as well finish it off. No matter what, IMO you should use your GI bill and finish your bachelor's. This is a benefit that you earned through your service and paid cash money for during your first year of enlistment.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.