Options

Network I/O Control

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

I was curious if one of you guys know if you can enable Network I/O on a vDS while the vDS is being used and not have traffic going over it get disconnected? -- I'm pretty sure you can just enable it, but just to play it safe I figured I'd ask just to make sure my brain is thinking this correctly. :)

I'm essentially looking to avoid taking down a cluster to enable Network I/O on datacenter of over 2000 VM's. :)

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes. NIOC will not disconnect.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Perfect, want to throttle backup traffic for our EMC Avamar and our EMC VNX SAN until we get a OOB fabric for just storage. :)
  • Options
    MSNinjaMSNinja Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just want to point out that NIOC is not a throttling mechanism. It is just a way to manage QoS for specific traffic in the network stack in a ESXi host. If you want to throttle the specific traffic you will need to use either ingress (for outward) and ingress (for inward) traffic shaping available on a per port group level in the vDS.
    Also the throttling is dependent on the backup network layout used for the system. Default it uses the management vmkernel.