Options

IT Jobs/Development

gbin413gbin413 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

First post here and I am not sure if I am posting this thread in the area (so sorry in advanced). I've read some pretty inspiring posts and decided to write this to get some realistic thoughts/feedback. Just a little background about me... I've been in sales/account management for the past 10+ years and haven't had a chance to finish my degree. Been attending a community college for their CIS program but taking it somewhat slow. My last two positions were at companies like Check Point Software and Cisco Meraki. Those roles gave me a brief understanding of what the networking and security world has to offer.

Current road map for me is I am in the process of studying for the CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+ (no real technical background). I bought the books by Mike Meyers and have been enjoying reading them so far. My questions are... Once I complete the A+ exam, what would be a good first role to look into? I would love to have a chance to get into an internal Desktop Support role, is that doable/realistic?

Any feedback is welcome since I am a complete newbie in this.

Thanks,

Gordon

Comments

• Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ and Net+ are good starts for entry-level IT jobs such as helpdesk/support, so I'd say you're on a good track. You might also check with your county's community services department and see if they have any tech-centric volunteer opportunities. You get to help out the community, network with people, get a little hands-on experience you might not otherwise get, and it may give you a leg-up during the hiring process.
  • Options
    Russ5813 wrote: »
    A+ and Net+ are good starts for entry-level IT jobs such as helpdesk/support, so I'd say you're on a good track. You might also check with your county's community services department and see if they have any tech-centric volunteer opportunities. You get to help out the community, network with people, get a little hands-on experience you might not otherwise get, and it may give you a leg-up during the hiring process.

Good idea Russ5813. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    Anyone else out there got some advice? *head scratch
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello,

Something that helps people getting into IT is to go out on job boards and type in the certifications you're pursuing. Read the job descriptions from the results and hone your study skills on those areas so that you can be prepared in interviews. With no experience you're going to have to make a good impression that you know the stuff you put on your resume inside and out. Also, brush up on people skills if you need to ... sometimes getting in the door is dependent on making a good impression to the people interviewing you and how well you will fit into the culture.

Good luck.