Options

Is this program top-heavy with programming classes?

PragmaticZealotPragmaticZealot Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm currently studying Information Technology at a local state university. I looked at the degree requirements checklist and I showed it to a friend who graduated from Penn State's IST program. He told me he was required to take only 1 c++ course his entire time at penn state. However, my school (kutztown) requires 2 c++ programming classes as well as 2 classes in software engineering and a web programming course. Is it normal for an IT program to require this much coding? I am attaching the degree requirements sheet (1st page is just gen ed, 2nd page lists the required major courses). Or is this particular program top heavy with programming classes?

http://app.kutztown.edu/checksheets/checksheet.aspx?checksheet=ULASCSCIT-2162

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like it's more geared towards the development side of IT.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    IT Programs vary. And they are completely different degrees. Yours is a BS "Computer Science" degree with an emphasis in Information Technology.

Penn state appears to offer a BA Information Systems degree and 4 different BS flavors. So his probably doesn't align with yours.

When I went to Cleveland State they had two different options. One was a business degree, the other a BS. The BS was heavy into programming where as the business degree only had 2 programming courses.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Once upon a time CS degrees uniformly required at least a minor if not a full degree in mathematics. The math portion was there to teach developers deep level logic and problem solving. Today your lucky to require much more than college algebra.

Question is do you want to be after graduation? A developer immersed in several languages and the logic to apply them or something more or less on the administration side? Think Windows 2012 Server, et. al.

Oh! Of course I am skipping over the corner office right after graduation!

Depends on your overall goals.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Well to be honest I'm seriously questioning if I even have the mental capacity to be a developer. This semester I am taking discrete math and computer science I. I am struggling in my computer science class and it's very possible that I will have to repeat the course next semester. I'm trying my best to swing a C, but my tutor told me that even people who swing a C get the rug ripped out from under their feet in Comp Sci 2 and simply end up retaking comp sci 1 again. I have always struggled with math and science. I had to put in 3x the effort into those endeavors and I still ended up doing worse than my classmates who have a natural aptitude in those areas.
  • Options
    But to answer the question that was initially posed, I don't want to do software development. If I was actually good at that stuff, I suppose I would like it. But unfortunately that's not the case. I want to do something on the administration/business/management side of things. Does this mean I will have to drop out of my current university and find another program to enroll into?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ended up doing worse than my classmates who have a natural aptitude in those areas.

unless you have a mental condition/disability do people actually believe other people are naturally smarter than others in certain things?
  • Options
    unless you have a mental condition/disability do people actually believe other people are naturally smarter than others in certain things?

I don't have any mental disabilities. However, there is no doubt that some people are naturally smarter than others in certain areas or even across the board. Environment and upbringing certainly play a role in intelligence, but genetics also play a very strong role. Especially when it comes to math and science, most people will hit a wall while others have a natural talent and keep on going.

I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about the role of genetics and environment in intelligence.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Meh... Most things just involve memorizing facts. Like Calculus, all your doing is using equations to solve other equations most of the time and just have to memorize which equations work where. In comp sci, your memorizing computer languages. I feel your comment is saying people can memorize only certain things which sounds crazy to me. But I haven't looked up anything on this matter so I really don't know... (Or care enough to look up) Just feel most people could learn how to do almost anything if they really wanted it.

Sorry, I just hate hearing excuses why things "can't" be done. icon_rolleyes.gif

if you want to be in IT administration though, whether that be on the systems or network side, you should be learning some programming.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Well if math and programing are things you struggle with, you may indeed want to look to a different program for your degree. But you need to know what you want to do. "administration/business/management side of things." is a broad topic. If you are wanting to do Network/Systems Administration you are better off finding a degree plan that aligns with the certifications for the jobs you want. If you want to be a network guy then find a program with curriculum that prepares you for the CCNA. If you want to be a Systems Admin find a program that aligns with Microsoft or Linux backend.

The business management side is a completely different monster. You should be able to find a business degree with an emphasis in IT. But they aren't preparing you to do IT for a living. They are preparing you for a sales/management roll.
  • Options
    Meh... Most things just involve memorizing facts. Like Calculus, all your doing is using equations to solve other equations most of the time and just have to memorize which equations work where. In comp sci, your memorizing computer languages. I feel your comment is saying people can memorize only certain things which sounds crazy to me. But I haven't looked up anything on this matter so I really don't know... (Or care enough to look up) Just feel most people could learn how to do almost anything if they really wanted it.

Sorry, I just hate hearing excuses why things "can't" be done. icon_rolleyes.gif

if you want to be in IT administration though, whether that be on the systems or network side, you should be learning some programming.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Complex abstract concepts go well beyond simple memorization. I took calc 2x (once in hs and once in college). I did poorly both times, despite the fact that I was trying. In hs, one of my friends was slacking off in calc class and was acing it while I was struggling big time. Same thing goes for computer science. Some people pick up programming faster than others. Universities teach at the pace of those who learn programming right away. If universities significantly slowed down the pace and did a lot more reinforcement, then more (but not all) students would be able to get through programming classes. When I spoke to the head of the computer science dept, even she said that students w/o a natural aptitude are far more likely to drop out. If you were born with a mathematical mind, then good for you. But many people will struggle with things that you consider "easy". Here are some articles that discuss the topic further:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10333/20140715/math-wiz-thank-genes.htm

People are 'born bad at maths' - Telegraph