Options

Master's Advice

DarkmanX-DarkmanX- Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

New to the forums but check this site out very often for valuable information. I was hoping some of you could provide me with some advice on choosing a Masters program in Cybersecurity. First off, I am finishing up my Bachelor's in IT with a concentration in cybersecurity from Excelsior College. I am currently a secondary math teacher so I am looking to switch careers along with attending graduate school online. I have some IT experience and have obtained Security+ and taking the SSCP exam to be an associate of ISC2.

I am currently enrolled in the dual program for Masters in cybersecurity at Excelsior but want to pursue a graduate program elsewhere. I have some programming knowledge (C, Java, Python) and networking experience/knowledge.

Here is where I have applied and what programs (All NSA/DOD certified);

Iowa State - MS Information Assurance dual with MS Comp Eng
Maryland at College Park - MsEng Cybersecurity (accepted already)
Univ of Rhode Island - PSM Cybersecurity (accepted already)
Penn State - MS in info sciences - info assurance and cybersecurity
Utica College - MS Cybersecurity
Regis University - MS Info Assurance
Univ South Florida - MS Cybersecurity
Johns Hopkins - MS Cybersecurity
Boston Univ - MSCIS - Security

Any advise would be gladly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Any specific sort of advice you're looking for?

Those are all really good programs; I've always liked the UMCP, Utica, and Hopkins programs - I heavily considered them when I was searching around. Between those 3, I really don't think you could go wrong - you'll receive a quality education from any of them.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    I want a program that focuses more on the technical side than policy-oriented. Some of these programs have more intelligence based courses, others with policy, and some with technical course such as intrusion detection, etc. After looking over them they all seem to start blurring together, lol.

I want whatever program I choose to make-up for the lack of experience I have in the security field, while also providing me with quality courses. I'll be getting some this summer in an internship capacity but want my studies to directly effect my chances of getting hired.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    A degree is a checklist.
    The policy can be learned from examples and years of experience but you can only create a good policy if you have years of network sec side experience.

I dont believe the BEST guys in the technical sec side works for any university. Goodluck.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any reason you want to do the Master's in cyber security? You could do a lot better in a another IT field, not sure if you have considered it or if you are aware of it but if you are already a math teacher that means that you are good in math. BI (Businesses Intelligence ) and Big Data could be a better fit for you. It's SQL heavy but its more in demand and its only growing year after year. A lot better pay than Infosec too.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do agree with your math background BI or Data Science would be an excellent choice. I have been doing a lot of data analysis lately and it is very interesting to say the least. That being said I do security as well and enjoy it. Any reason your haven't looked at Dakota State University? Their Masters in Applied Computer Science with a concentration in Cyber Operations would be a perfect fit for you in my opinion.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I have looked at Dakota State but they require the GRE, in which I have been spending all of my "testing" finances on certification prep and exam scheduling. It does look nice though. Just got accepted into Boston's MCIS program in which I could potentially specialize in both security and data analytics.

I prefer the security track because I have thoroughly enjoyed my security courses that I have taken so far in my BS program. I've spent the last two years focused on information security and have found something that really peaks my interest. I guess I'll find out which way is better for me, if it even is infosec, during my cybersecurity internship this summer (perks of being a teacher).
  • Options
    DarkmanX- wrote: »
    I want a program that focuses more on the technical side than policy-oriented. Some of these programs have more intelligence based courses, others with policy, and some with technical course such as intrusion detection, etc. After looking over them they all seem to start blurring together, lol.

I posted some comments regarding various programs in another thread - check it out here: www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/118687-graduate-school.html#post1015890.

If I had to offer any advice, it would be to focus on the theoretical knowledge rather than the practical (in which practical and technical are often used as synonyms). I say this because you can acquire the practical skills on-the-job, or through training (SANS is awesome, if you can get your employer to pay for it), while it's harder to lean the theory of why the thing functions on the job. The one caveat to this would be a program that's so specialized that you wouldn't learn the knowledge/skills in any other capacity (the Utica program comes readily to mind - you probably won't be exposed to similar material unless you go to work in the IC).
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I have looked at Dakota State but they require the GRE, in which I have been spending all of my "testing" finances on certification prep and exam scheduling. It does look nice though. Just got accepted into Boston's MCIS program in which I could potentially specialize in both security and data analytics.

I prefer the security track because I have thoroughly enjoyed my security courses that I have taken so far in my BS program. I've spent the last two years focused on information security and have found something that really peaks my interest. I guess I'll find out which way is better for me, if it even is infosec, during my cybersecurity internship this summer (perks of being a teacher).

There is definitely crossover between analytics/big data and info sec. All that wading through logs to find 'interesting' things springs to mind. Threat analysis, malware analysis, networks. Distilling massive amounts of data into information/knowledge/wisdom. It could be an interesting and lucrative combination.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If your GPA is high enough they will waive the GRE. I applied with a 3.41 and got in with no GRE.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I'll check that out Grinch, thanks.

I just received notice that I was accepted into Penn State. Waiting on Utica, USF, Johns Hopkins, and Iowa State. I have really been looking into the data analytics curriculum like you guys mentioned and just can't figure out the right school to choose. I love the cyber operations and intelligence side of Utica, PSU, and USF but I also know that I need much more technical coursework to beef of my talents such as UofM, Boston, JHU, and URI. I know it's a good problem to have but again, I am attempting a major career change and want a program that is going to prepare me for an Info Sec career. Keep the great advice coming guys, I really do appreciate it and value your opinions. As a teacher I don't have much like-minded colleagues to bounce these ideas off of.

Also, I am currently working on Offensive Security's Pentest Cert and also the SSCP.
  • Options
    Update.

Turned down UofM and Regis. Have been accepted into Penn State, URI, Boston U, and Utica. Waiting on Johns Hopkins, USF, and Iowa State. Utica is standing out right now due to it's highly specialized curriculum in cyber operations. On the other hand, URI's curriculum seems much more technical and security-focused. I don't know what to do.
  • Options
    I don't know what to do.

What sort of role do you envision for yourself once you graduate? That should be your deciding factor.
  • Options
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    What sort of role do you envision for yourself once you graduate? That should be your deciding factor.

I would like to be a security analyst responsible for assessing system vulnerabilities, incident response, identifying threats, etc. and then after I have a few years of experience would like to get on the engineering and security design side of info sec. Not really interested in management but more looking for a "blue-collar" career path in the field.
  • Options
    Buckeye222Buckeye222 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you looked into Bellevue and their Masters program. I'm eyeballing it with favor right now.
  • Options
    I would like to be a security analyst responsible for assessing system vulnerabilities, incident response, identifying threats, etc. and then after I have a few years of experience would like to get on the engineering and security design side of info sec. Not really interested in management but more looking for a "blue-collar" career path in the field.

You've mentioned more than one role... But they all work in a SOC/Information Security Group. It sounds to me like you're seeking a position on a Blue Team (or, as the government is referring to it: CND [Computer Network Defense]). Take a look at this SANS white paper for a little more detail on SOC roles (page 4/5): https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/analyst/building-world-class-security-operations-center-roadmap-35907
  • Options
    Thanks for the read dmoore44. Yes, I think you are correct in what I aiming for. On another note, got my provisional acceptance in to the Johns Hopkins program. Have to complete Calculus II and Data Structures this summer in order to be fully admitted. Did some research and it's going to cost about 2 grand just to get in. The program looks very intriguing and more engineering-based which is appealing to my interests.
  • Options
    nikgeniusnikgenius Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone explored Champlain College's Online Master of Science in Information Security Operations? Debating between Norwich University's MSISA and Champlain College MSISO. Which would would you pick and why?