Options

Passed Sec+

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just got back from the testing center and I passed with a score of 830. David L. Prowse's book is a viable study guide as I used it exclusively along with the practice tests that came on the CDs which was included in the book. I used the regular edition and not the academic edition.

I would estimate total study time to be between 30-40 hours with the bulk of them being within the last month. I originally bought the book back in January, but didn't really hit it hard until the past 2-3 weeks. I would usually study for 45 minutes - 1.5 hours each day. I'm usually at work 1.5 hours ahead of time, so I would get in about 45 minutes of studying in my car before work and another 45 at night when I got home.

I pretty much just read the book and took notes as I read. I also did the end of chapter quizzes. When I finished the book I took a practice exam and reread the chapters I was weak on. Yesterday, I spent 3-4 hours using the practice exam questions from the Pearson testing simulator. I would take the practice exam, mark the questions that I wasn't 100% sure of the answer, and then go back through and read the explanations for the questions I marked as well as the ones I got wrong. I like to review the explanations for the ones that I marked that way I can see if my thought process was correct in answering that question.

Yesterday, I also read through my notes. Today I showed up an hour and a half early to the testing center. I spent that time in my car browsing through the entire book looking anything that was bolded, italicized, underlined or in tables.

Comments

• Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Great Work
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, I'm due to sit mine on the 9th of May. Earliest I could get due to where I live. I know in the comptia sample questions there are questions on Linux. Can you confirm if there is much in the way of Linux on the exam?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Infosec85 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass, I'm due to sit mine on the 9th of May. Earliest I could get due to where I live. I know in the comptia sample questions there are questions on Linux. Can you confirm if there is much in the way of Linux on the exam?

Due to the NDA, I can't comment on the specifics of the exam I took. However, I did just do a keyword search on the Security+ exam objectives PDF made available on the Comptia website for "Linux" and that did not return any results.
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! That's a great score!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"