Looking for opinions on my IT pathway

DefilerDefiler Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum. I found techexams.net looking for cert information, so I registered to get more information to work towards my future IT career.

Anyways,

I am having trouble deciding on choosing a path for my career. I will post as much information as I can currently think of that would hopefully allow viewers to provide the best feedback. My situation is that I am working towards a career emphasizing in networking. I am 20 years old, finishing up on my A.A.S in Networking at Walters State Community College. Inside of Tennessee, there are no good public B.S. schools to attend that relates to networking/IT. I want to be in the IT field. My ambitions are to move to silicon valley, or the one in the east (D.C.) From what I have read online, most jobs are looking for people with B.S. degree. I am a poor, any tuition will be paid through grant/scholarships/loans.

Here are my options:

A) (PUBLIC & CLASSROOM) Tennessee Technical University B.S.Cyber-Security concentration
This transfer pathway is quite a different pathway. It is the only close Public/state school that offers anything relating to computers that is not C.S. general education, and programming. I could get in this school with through a government-funded scholarship that makes me work for them after graduation. This will set me back a year or two as I will need to finish a lot more general education classes, and other classes I can't get transfer credits towards.

B) (PRIVATE & ONLINE) King University B.S. Information Technology Network Management concentration
This is a more costly, and faster route to my bachelors degree.

C) No B.S. degree.
I will try to hopefully nearby internship/job with a local company. Focus on N+, CCENT, and possibly other certs.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have tried to explain my current standing, and maybe I can get some advice from this community who have been, or know what I should do from here. (moderately serious advice please..)

Comments

• TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    So first question.

Why are you attempting to target Silicon Valley?

As far as a bachelors degree goes. UT Knoxville seems to have a great looking program.
    http://catalog.utk.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=18&poid=7355
    Program: Cybersecurity Minor - University of Tennessee, Knoxville - Acalog ACMS
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Get a BS, don't matter which one. For many jobs it is a basic requirement.
  • DefilerDefiler Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kreken wrote: »

That's what I'm noticing in a lot of jobs it seems
  • DefilerDefiler Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    So first question.

Why are you attempting to target Silicon Valley?

As far as a bachelors degree goes. UT Knoxville seems to have a great looking program.
    http://catalog.utk.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=18&poid=7355
    Program: Cybersecurity Minor - University of Tennessee, Knoxville - Acalog ACMS
    Competitive pay, and plenty of jobs. Few other places I was thinking of is Dallas, and New York. I rather not live in Tennessee anymore than I need too. I will figure out the best opportunitie spot after I kickstart my IT career. I am thinking the best bet for me is getting my bachelors to obtain the first big step towards my career.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kreken wrote: »

I simply don't agree with this at all. And if "it doesn't matter which one" that speaks miles that a BS is more and more evolving into being a money pit or waste of time and retaining less value these days.

@OP
    If I were you I would focus on finishing the community college tour and start job hunting. Get a job as a help desk tech (BS is NOT ever required for these jobs), keep working towards some certs to help specialize in that sector while building your IT experience, then begin looking for a something that benefits your recent cert studies / IT experience, like a NOC job, etc. Here I think you can make a decision if a BS is worth it or if perusing expert level certs and job experience is a better use of your time.

Now, i'll never completely say getting a BS is worthless but in the IT sector there really isn't anything more that can be learned from a university that cannot be self taught via MUCH more affordable resources.

Also I am not trying to map your future but the statement of "get a BS, don't matter which one" almost sickens me. Those words unfortunately are true in the IT world and unfortunately don't give you much leg up either. (unless you don't plan on doing much of a technical job at all and want to push into management).
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I kinda disagree. I have an AA, certs and LOTS of experience. Alot of jobs do require a BS, but also say the education can be replaced by the experience you have. So, my 2cents would be go the community college route, find a job and from there see if your company will pay for either certs or education.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Defiler wrote: »
    Competitive pay, and plenty of jobs. Few other places I was thinking of is Dallas, and New York. I rather not live in Tennessee anymore than I need too. I will figure out the best opportunitie spot after I kickstart my IT career. I am thinking the best bet for me is getting my bachelors to obtain the first big step towards my career.

There are a lot of places with competitive pay and plenty of jobs. You also need to keep in mind that $100k a year in Knoxville Tennessee isn't going to equal to $100k in Silicon Valley. You practically need to double that for the same spending power. Im not saying there is anything wrong with that as a goal, just something to keep in mind. Where as somewhere like Austin, Tx or Nashville, Tn have some of the highest growth rates for IT and are almost the same spending power dollar for dollar.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I kinda disagree. I have an AA, certs and LOTS of experience. Alot of jobs do require a BS, but also say the education can be replaced by the experience you have. So, my 2cents would be go the community college route, find a job and from there see if your company will pay for either certs or education.

That is a good point. If you can find a company that will invest in you and help with education costs then go for it.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can tell you now that most Entry level IT jobs require a bachelors degree in the Silicon Valley. The competition here is ridiculous.
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rj1790 wrote: »
    I can tell you now that most Entry level IT jobs require a bachelors degree in the Silicon Valley. The competition here is ridiculous.

I remember when I first started out in the industry and I was able to get by on just my Associate's for a long time. A bachelor's degree is definitely recommended in today's economy for the HR requirements. The most important aspect is selling yourself and what you are able to offer. ;)

Education, certs, and degrees are all good benhcmarks and checkmarks to have on your resume. However, what gets you the job is your drive, ambition, personality, and how you continue to demonstrate your career growth that will win employers!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    I simply don't agree with this at all. And if "it doesn't matter which one" that speaks miles that a BS is more and more evolving into being a money pit or waste of time and retaining less value these days.

Also I am not trying to map your future but the statement of "get a BS, don't matter which one" almost sickens me. Those words unfortunately are true in the IT world and unfortunately don't give you much leg up either. (unless you don't plan on doing much of a technical job at all and want to push into management).

To rephrase above, you don't agree with me but it is true.

BS degree is based on the principle - monkey see, monkey do. It just shows you can follow directions and are, somewhat, trainable. This is exactly what I am looking for as a potential employer. It gives me some guarantee that my money and time invested will not be fully wasted if I hire him/her.