Options

Feeling a bit deceived

pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
I recently started a job at a company that payed well, has great benefits, and is close to my house (10 miles). Then I find out when I started working there that part of the company is being sold including the department that I'm working for, so I'll eventually be working for a different company. I still don't know how that will affect my pay and benefits. Now I find out that I'll be working for several months at a location that's 50+ miles away. When the transition to the new company happens, I don't even know what that will look like as far as job location. These were not mentioned in any way during the interview or any conversations prior to starting the job. I probably would not have taken the job if I was given these information from the beginning.

I'll just stick it out since I really don't want to burn any bridges, but applying for new jobs has crossed my mind. icon_sad.gif

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I would find another job as soon as possible
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Keep working there and look for new work as you can. Transition to new companies takes time and isn't an overnight thing.
    See how it will affect you in the mean time by asking your superiors. Dont worry about it. Go to work. Enjoy it. Keep moving forward.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would immediately start looking for a new job. You'll be asked about it if you include it on your resume, but I know most recruiters are at least willing to hear an explanation. All recruiters are different and I'm not one, but I would consider your reason for leaving completely valid.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Keep working there, but start sending out resumes. Meanwhile, learn what you can there and relax.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stay there but keep sending resumes out. It would also be a good idea to do research on the other company. How stable they are, what business they are into, if there is any news about the acquisition, look at their employee count and keep an eye on anything related to your department being moved. I have been part of 3 mergers but my company was always the acquirer and my managers always kept me in the loop so it would not hurt to ask about your new reports or even go to HR and get more explanation. You might not get affected for a long time, enough time that you could find another job really.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with others, keep working there and applying. Don't wait for the hammer to drop, have a backup plan.

Also take this as a lesson learned to research potential new employers. When I am even approached by a recruiter (internal or external) about a job with a company or I want to apply to a certain job, I perform a certain amount of due diligence. First thing I'll do is read all of the reviews on Indeed and Glassdoor to get a feel. If I see any obvious negative trends or red flags I'll disqualify them immediately (note you should take some reviews with a grain of salt but look for patterns and reviews from technology positions, and overall company culture). Along with looking at reviews I'll do a Google search to look for any current ongoing things like pending sales or mergers, or any other negative news. Finally if a company checks out, I'll go on CNBC and Bloomberg and check out the company's financials (you can also find out about sales/mergers here too). It's a good idea to see if you're entering an Enron type of situation.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    KennygrowKennygrow Banned Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    It's not even the migration that bothers me. I'm going from a Fortune 100 company to a Fortune 500 so it's not too bad.

Took me 2 hours to get home today. My total commute was 3.5 hours. Definitely not what I signed up for.

Saw a couple of job listings that were interesting.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Now I find out that I'll be working for several months at a location that's 50+ miles away.

That sucks, it's one thing to find out your company is being acquired it's another to find out you are being relocated. Twice now I worked for places where the company I was hired for was acquired by another company. Both times it ended up being better for my career because it was a more well known company, my benefits improved slightly and I worked in the same office.

I interviewed with a company last month that was splitting in two and they told me about it during the interview and spent most of the interview explaining what was going on.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think in some states drastic changes to your job are cause for you to receive unemployment even if you quit. The last state I read up on they said that if the changes would cause a reasonable employee to leave. I believe they also required that the employee voice their concerns and give the employer an opportunity to correct it before they left. Your state might be different. It's always a good idea to find a state's manual designed for employers. You find out all interesting things about what they can/can't do according to the law.
  • Options
    Well I have some good news. I talked to my manager and we made a compromise. I will only be at the far location twice a week to do some training. Once I'm spun up, then I can go fully remote. icon_cheers.gif

I'll stay put for now. I'm at a pretty good location as far as jobs go. If something bad happens because of the transition to the new company, then I should be able to find another job pretty easily.

Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Good to hear that everything worked out... I envy you because I would love a remote tech job! Congrats!

icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Thanks! This is the first job I've had where I can go fully remote. I think I'll miss having physical interaction with co-workers, but being able to go to a park and work using my hot spot is pretty nice.
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Believe it or not, I really didn't miss the physical interaction with my co-workers when I starting working remote. I actually got more done in the first half of a day being remote because I didn't have everyone constantly bothering me with questions throughout the day.

Job I am at now is 3 days remote and 2 days in the office (60+ miles each way in DC area). I noticed immediately that I get all my best work done on my remote days...the days I am in the office...forget about it.