Options

Who to contact? Job poster or consultant recruiter?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I was approached by a recruiter on LinkedIn about a job, I replied back and told the person that going by the job description I might not be the best fit for this particular posting and told them that i am interested in other opportunities and listed those opportunities. The recruiter replied back and asked me to give them a call to discuss those opportunities as they do have some job postings. I was not aware of that until they mentioned it, so what I did I went on LinkedIn and looked at the company and voila the job I am interested in is there.

The thing is, this job has another job poster, a more senior with the company who happens to be an internal employee whereas the person that contacted me even though they work for the company, going from their email address, they are not FT employee yet(they had something like non-employee@company.name.) So my question is, do I continue my conversation with the person I already have made contact or do I contact the internal HR job poster? What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Apply directly, don't trust the recruiter.

Recruiters don't care about you or your career.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Most recruiters are shady fly-by-night people. Unless you know the recruiter and have enough of a relationship with him/her to really trust and believe they're going to go out of their way for you, just apply to the site directly. Sometimes the right recruiter can open doors, but there's a good % who won't
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OP, Im unclear if you are saying that the recruiter's email address is something like joedoe.nonemployee@newemployer.com or joedoe@soundslikenewemployer.com.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The first 2 replies are assuming this recruiter isn't an internal recruiter that just works directly for that company... I'd definitely work with an internal recruiter, they are going to get your resume to the people that need to see it right away. Thats the only thing they are getting paid to do. It's just a question on if this person works for a recruiting company or the actual company your applying to.

Edit: think I read it wrong at first... Id go with the internal employee
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would probably go with the internal employee unless you have had a lot of good experience/karma with the external recruiter before (aka never burn bridges in IT).

Ironically, I just had similar this morning. Saw a recruiter posting for a job opening with one of my past consulting clients. Skipped the recruiter and emaild the CEO directly, as he's my regular contact there. We'll see what happens
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    OP, Im unclear if you are saying that the recruiter's email address is something like joedoe.nonemployee@newemployer.com or joedoe@soundslikenewemployer.com.

Ok to clarify this, they both work for the company, its just that the person that contacted me had the email address as joedoe.nonemployee@newemployer.com meaning that this person works for the company but they are not full time, they are either consulting or temps or contractors.

Whereas the job poster on linkedIn has email address as janedoe@newemployer.com
  • Options
    Basically I don't want to reach to the internal job poster and then later on the person finds out i bypassed them
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OK, so it is what I initially thought. I've been in several companies that get temporary extra contractors to help with recruiting workloads and follow this email naming scheme. In my previous cases it may no difference which recruiter you talked to as they were both considered internal. Since you already opened a communication channel with the initial "nonemployee" recruiter I would follow up with them. If you bypass this person and go to the more senior "employee" one you run the risk of your message being lost in the noise or something similar. Nonemployee recruiter seems like the safest bet to me.
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I leaning towards also.