Options

Help getting a network admin job

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I was looking at a few current Network admin jobs and they are asking to have experience in
Windows Server, Active Directory, Exchange, SQL & SAP Reporting; Knowledge of SharePoint administration will be highly valued.

Is this normal to know and have experience in these areas as a network admin? It seems like a lot to learn and very hard to get the experience in all of those. That leads me to my next question. If I did want to get experience in Windows Server, AD, Exchange, SQL etc. What would I need to build a home lab and how many VMs should I run?

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Sometimes, they just throw 'words' out in these ads. If you know 4 out of 6, you are called for an interview. Has happened to me many times, and I mention what I don't know as well, just to CYA.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Network Admin is probably the most ambiguous title in this field. It seems to mean anything from helpdesk to systems admin to actual network work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is that the only things that they are requiring? E.g. no knowledge of anything Cisco/Juniper, BGP, ASA, etc? If not, just sounds like a MS sysadmin role that they labeled funny.

If you're interested in that kind of work then I'd recommend just setup a VM for each server: e.g. 1 for AD, 1 for Exchange, 1 for SQL, etc. Then have a couple end-user VMs to join to the domain, get email, etc.
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply guys :)
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    If the job needs someone who knows about Windows server OS's, active directory, VMware, Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, user accounts, email systems, all the data backup systems, etc, that is a System Administrator.

If the job is for someone who installs and configures the routers and switches of the network, that is a Network Administrator.

Essentially, the network admin makes it possible for the servers to connect to the internet and other company computers. The system admin deals with everything that happens in and on the server itself.

That is how I see the difference between sys admins and network admins, anyhow......

I am looking for network admin jobs, but I want no part of the sys admin side of it all. Let someone who is dedicated to that stuff deal with it.