New Guy In Town

TheCableGuy2016TheCableGuy2016 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I am just making this post to say introduce myself. I am just starting out and preparing for my ICND1 exam. I have noticed this place to be a wealth of information and for someone just preparing to start out will prove to be very useful. I have a little experience setting up networks as from my name you can tell i am a cable guy. I am looking to advance to other roles in my company. I have decided due to my schedule and funds the best path for me to take is self study. If any of you have took this route also please give me some advice of the problems and successes you had. If you guys know of any material that would be helpful to me please also let me know.

Thank you for reading this.
TheCableGuy2016

Comments

• Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    whats up cable guy

Thats funny, i started my whole IT stuff by installing internet as ...a cable guy! lol
    Pick up some Todd Lammel books you will enhoy the read. Also look up CBT nuggets for CCNA on youtube. Get a copy of PacketTracer so you can run sims for the routers n such. Best of luck man, your going to do great
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome and I think that you're going to be successful with the attitude that you've shown so far. If I were you, I would hit Udemy and check out what some of the different paths involved. That way you can get an idea for where it is you want to be in three to five years.
    I wouldn't hold too fast to any path at this point until you decide if you want to work in network and/or systems integration, administration or security or what.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    INE is probably hands down, the most informative source, as far as videos go. CBT nuggets is great, and may be more helpful if you have a hard time concentrating for a long period of time, as they try to throw in jokes. INE on the otherhand is all business, but they cover far more detail.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!

I suggest the best place to start is to pick up a book. Cisco Press, Todd Lammle, Chris Bryant, Paul Browning (simplified series) all good stuff. Also pair that with some video resources (CBT Nuggets, Chris Bryant, INE, etc). Like you mentioned this place has a wealth of information and good people. Drop in if you have more questions and keep us updated on your studies!

Good luck to ya!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi