What type of a raise should I Get

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
I am working at a company as a intern in a role of I.T. Support Technician, when the company decides to make your position a permanent one how much of a raise should you get for them making your position being made permanent. for example should it go from 8$hr to 16 an hr?
:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.

Comments

• TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    There is really no amount that you "should" get bumped up to. There are a lot of factors include the market you are in, and what they pay their current permanent people. There are companies around here that list $12-14 an hour to start for entry level positions and there are companies that pay $35-40k/year.

Just talk to them and go from there.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only way to know for sure would be to ask the people who have that position what they get paid. And that requires being tight with them, you don't want to ask a relative stranger what they make.... And you also have to ask it in a manner that is focused on what you should be getting, rather than what they get. Something like: "Hey bud. So I'm getting moved up to full-time employee soon, and I was curious what a good range to ask for might be when they ask what rate I'm looking for." They'll either tell you what they make flat out, or they'll be vague. That way, if they're willing to tell you what they make, they will. But if they're not, you didn't ask in a rude way.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I work as an intern but most of the time I work completely unsupervised. weather its doing a basic setup of a cisco switch or installing a wireless point to point bridge. setting up a new computer or trouble shooting a faulty one, set up copier, scanners, projectors trouble shooting laptops, setting up a cisco managed WAP, Installing APC 2000 rackmount ups. so I think that going from a position where I should be supervised and taught what to do to actually being made permanent should be a good bump in pay.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Maybe you can check glassdoor to get an idea of salary.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say that somewhere $1-2 within $15/hr. If it is south of $15/hr, I would stay for some more experience (maybe a year), and then look for something with a pay bump to at least $18/hr. If it is north of $15/hr, stick around and see what your next raise is, I wouldn't settle for less than a $3k/yr increase unless you just aren't performing. Also, make sure you don't make too many lateral moves... your moves to need to make you reach and increase your responsibilities.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are too many factors involved with that to say for sure. Every company will be different and a lot of it will depend on the geographic area you're working in. For example, an IT job in a big city will likely pay more than an IT job in a small suburb. This isn't always the case but it tends to be.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As others have said, it's hard to give specifics here since there are so many variables which would result in a very wide spectrum of answers. It's good to try and research what the market compensation is for the role in your area; that might give you some negotiating leverage. Other negotiating factors would include your past performance, and I generally have these written down for these types of discussions.
    rsutton wrote: »
    As others have said, it's hard to give specifics here since there are so many variables which would result in a very wide spectrum of answers. It's good to try and research what the market compensation is for the role in your area; that might give you some negotiating leverage. Other negotiating factors would include your past performance, and I generally have these written down for these types of discussions.
    I agree I will take notes and facts handy to help me with negotiating when that time comes!
    :

I think I need to do a survey for I.T professionals to get an average idea of salary.
    :

• TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    You would need to do a survey of those in your area. If you truly are in the Bahamas as your location suggests, I don't think they pay that well comparatively speaking to most of the US.
    TomkoTech wrote: »
    You would need to do a survey of those in your area. If you truly are in the Bahamas as your location suggests, I don't think they pay that well comparatively speaking to most of the US.

Yes Sir you are right about that!
    :