Passed CISSP 1st Attempt May 02, 2016

mdhisapromdhisapro Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been lurking TE.net for the past few weeks as I have been preparing to take my CISSP examination. I have been working in IT Security for 5 years, with a few years of Physical Security, and DR/BC work, and being a field engineer implementing access control hardware. Prior to preparing for the CISSP I got the ISC2 4th Edition Book, but I don't think I have read more then 30-40 pages of it. The material as presented there I found really hard to stay focused on. I did listen to the Shon Harris audio files, and found those quite a bit more enjoyable -- although now after sitting for the exam today, I am not sure how much they added for me personally. I also took a week long bootcamp from LearningTree prior to scheduling my exam, which was a good refresher, and I purchased the Sybex 7th Edition because I got a really good deal on the eBook version.

I did not use CCCure or even the Sybex tests, but I did use some practice exams from the bootcamp I took, and a lot of flashcards. Sitting for the exam today there was honestly a lot less memorization than I thought there would be. I feel like every question on there was pretty easy to determine the answer they were seeking, like everyone says just pay attention to the MOST, FIRST, verbiage on the questions, and keep a managerial perspective. I am glad this is behind me. I sat down for the exam and had to tell myself to slow down a few times. I wrote the #25 on my dry erase board 10 times, and every 25 questions crossed one out and make myself relax, so I wouldn't get in a habit of speeding through and reading questions wrong.

I finished the exam in just over 155 minutes, I marked a lot of questions for review, but did not change a single answer, or review them. when I got to the end, I figured I had made my best attempt through it, and hit submit. I didn't read the score paper until I made the half hour drive back home. walked in the door, and my fiancé asked if I passed. I said idk yet ... popped it open and there it was A nice Pass :)

I am excited to be done this, and am looking forward to preparing for the OSCP; although my work is offering me all the classes and exams to get the ITIL v3 intermediate so I will most likely do that first.

Take care all, and best of luck to everyone taking the exam in the coming weeks! Do not stress about it :)

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! And thanks for the write-up!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • StillStreamStillStream Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice! I'm taking it on June 17th. I had to push it back because I'm honestly not ready to take it on the original date of May 26th.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • sibandadsibandad Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats...thanks for sharing your study techniques! Wish you all the best of luck with your certification..!
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178