Options

CCNA 1 or 2 exam path?

LemonTimePartyXLemonTimePartyX Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I'm new to this website, actually registering about 30 minutes ago. I'm sure there is some sort of post for this question, but I'm not exactly sure how to navigate through everything yet. So, my question if pretty much the subject or title of the post - which exam path should I take?

Just to give a little bit of background here: I'm not exactly new to Cisco. In high school, I was enrolled into a vocational school where I took a Cisco course. We used netacad. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with SkillsUSA, but I competed in Cisco networking competitions in SkillsUSA and ended up finishing 1st place in the state. The problem is that after high school, I stopped labbing for about a year and focused more on my classes at university. I'm a CIT major doing a network and security track and I've been reintroduced to Cisco last fall. This semester, I finished what I would consider CCNA 3. I feel pretty caught up after losing a year's worth of CCNA studies, but I've noticed that I've forgotten some of the nit picky details, like how arp and reverse arp works for example. I can implement routing protocols like RIP EIGRP and OSPF along with troubleshooting and whatnot, and switching concepts is kinda my thing. I can set up NAT and ACLs and all that good stuff. My only problem is frame relay. It could use a bit of work.

So to restate the question, which path should I work towards? 1 exam approach or 2 exam approach?

Thanks!!!
Goals:
Mid-2019 | [ ] A+ --> [ ] Net+ --> [ ] Sec+
Late-2019 | [ ] CCENT --> [ ] CCNA | or | [ ] MCP --> [ ] MCSA: Server 2016

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm always a fan of the one exam route, but even more so in your case. Get a good refresh and get certified.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wow kudos to you. I wish I had such in my HS days.
    I would seriously just watch some videos and do some practice exams. Then take the 1 exam method.

Get your subnetting and vlsm down and you should be good to go.
    If you also know the fundamentals of NAT and the differences with each routing protocol I don't see you having a problem.

I will warn you though, that there has been changes to the CCNA that has pulled down some CCNP topics.
    These topics include IPv6 for EIGRP and OSPF, NetFlow/SNMP, and Router redundancy protocols such as FHRP, HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP.

For the routing part, know how to choose your DR/BDR election process for OSPF. For EIGRP learn your successor routes etc. Metrics too.
    Also the Switching part got a lot harder with advanced STP. Know how spot Root Ports, Blocked Ports and Designated Ports from a diagram given bridge ID's and mac addresses. As well as how to manipulate BPDUs.

Luckily theres no wireless or security on the exam. You seem to have the ability to learn all of this stuff real well.

Good Luck.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    For the routing part, know how to choose your DR/BDR election process for OSPF. For EIGRP learn your successor routes etc. Metrics too.
    Also the Switching part got a lot harder with advanced STP. Know how spot Root Ports, Blocked Ports and Designated Ports from a diagram given bridge ID's and mac addresses. As well as how to manipulate BPDUs.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about this. There's a lot more to it than I remember lol.

Thanks for the replies fellas :D
    Goals:
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I'd do two exams. You could probably do the first exam now without much study. Then you get your CCENT straight away. This would allow you to focus more on the ICND2 exam content.

Then you can start reading up on some of the other tracks (DC, SP, Security, Collab, Wireless etc), or the CCNP R+S. It sounds like you have an interest and talent in networking, so I'd encourage you to get as far ahead as you can while doing university.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    oooh great points Octal.
    I also forgot that the price for two exams is roughly the same as the single.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Yea, that is probably the route I will go. Considering a lot of people fail their first time around, it would be a shame to lose 300 off the bat. I can much better swallow 150 if I end up failing the CCENT. I am not familiar with Cisco's tests. The closest I have is the practice exam that comes from the CD in Odom's book. It's too bad it doesn't have any simulators.
    Goals:
  • Options
    azrealazreal Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My advise to you, as someone in the same boat of experience that just failed the ICND1 by nine points, is to read a book and take in the nitty little details. That is what got me. I took the two exam route because that is what was recommended, but I am not sure at this point. Perhaps each individual exam gets into the minute little facts, where the composite is a truer test of actual implementation knowledge. Knowing what I know now, I would have spent more time reading the basics like how switches and routers actually function internally, and the explanation of concepts, rather than the implementation of those concepts.
  • Options
    @ azreal

As much as I'm dreading it, I'm going cover to cover to pick up the details. I hope to take ICND 1 within the next 30 days. And definitely retry that exam as soon as possible!!! If you are 9 points away, you will have it in the bag your next time around!!
    Goals: