which association to join - ISSA / ISC2 / ISACA ?

billDFWbillDFW Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

As a newbie to cyber security (will try to obtain Networking A+ and Security A+ this year), which local chapter/association should I join for networking and meeting folks in the field ? I am money and time (calendar) limited on what I can do, so wanted to get some feedback on which one I should join.

Ideally I meet some contacts to learn from and also for job searching, etc

I live in Dallas, TX area

ISSA
ISC2
ISACA
Others ?
Meetup clubs ?

Thank You

Comments

• RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ISACA is the best hands down. Meetup wise: Try North American Security (NASIG)Group.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This also depends if you are going into auditing or infosec in general.
    We do not know your time constraints, if you are going to school, there are student rates for these groups.
    You should try to go to all of them and see which one you like the most. YMMV on what you get out of meeting folks face to face within those groups and the general topics. Some may have a better speaker for that month. You may find some of them attend multiple groups like myself.

I think you would get more out of ISSA since there is more on their website. ISACA is more for auditing.

You may also want to join an OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project) meeting (no there are no wasps, mosquitos, or hornets ;) ). These are some interesting meetings.

Good Luck
  • billDFWbillDFW Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you everyone. Based on my minimal knowledge (at this point), I would be looking more at the Information Security side versus auditing.

Thank you
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    billDFW wrote: »
    thank you everyone. Based on my minimal knowledge (at this point), I would be looking more at the Information Security side versus auditing.

Thank you

You're going to be doing both anyway. :^)