Outside local address

Outside global address

Local address

Global address

Comments

• Options
    fearlessfreap24fearlessfreap24 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    these are from my notes:

NAT allows private users to access the internet by sharing one or more public IP address
    the most important types of address
    inside local: host on the inside network
    inside global: usually assigned by an IPS and allows the customer outside access
    outside global: host on the outside network
  • Options
    stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Took me a few minutes to find the Cisco Doc I studied...anyway here it is: what I did was know this document very well. I am very visual so I studied the illustrations. My advice - get a pencil and paper and draw it out until you get familiar with it. Then you get to a point where you can draw it in your head and will know where your Inside Local, Inside Global, etc. go.

Best wishes!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Inside local = IP address of an inside node, before NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices inside your network.

Inside Global = IP address of an inside node, after NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices outside your network

Outside global = IP address of an outside node, before NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices outside your network, usually a public IP address

Outside Local = IP address of an outside node, after NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices inside your network
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me,
    I had to throw out all the Insides & Outsides and Locals & Globals.

Instead,
    I drew my own picture and used terms that were more intuitive (see attached).

Hope this helps :]
  • Options
    yrwinsyrwins Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wow... that is really good. thanks...
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    For me,

Instead,

Very nice! I like this visual!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took me a few minutes to find the Cisco Doc I studied...anyway here it is: what I did was know this document very well.

It's 9:00pm and I'm not in the mood for studying right now which probably doesn't help, but 5 minutes of looking at that and I was as confused as ever with the terms, even the term definitions lost me. Perhaps in the morning and in the right frame of mind it might make more sense.
    james43026 wrote: »
    Inside local = IP address of an inside node, before NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices inside your network.

Inside Global = IP address of an inside node, after NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices outside your network

Outside global = IP address of an outside node, before NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices outside your network, usually a public IP address

Outside Local = IP address of an outside node, after NAT translation, and is the IP address of the node as seen by devices inside your network

This made much more sense.
    volfkhat wrote: »
    For me,

Instead,

As did this. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad you guys like!!
    Save the picture, and share it with others.

Another way i like to remind myself:

I, am always on the INSIDE.
    YOU , are always on the OUTSIDE.

:]
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    omg..Thank you.
    This was so perfect. This explains NAT in simple easy to grasp terms.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quick imaginary diagram: host connects to R1 which connects to R2.. Let's pretend R2 is google.com

Your host is an RFC 1918 address which is inside local.. You decide to ping google.com. Your inside local is translated to your routable inside global address, whatever you configured it as;; lets say 1.1.1.1.. Your inside global address travels to an outside global address which is google.com. It's a ping and if the ping is successful, it should travel back to your originating host. So as the ping travels back to you it get's translated from an outside global into a outside local (outside local represents google.com)

Regards
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University