Options

Is my router too old?

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
I have a Linksys WRT54GL router and 75MB internet, running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini

If the frequency is running at 300 Mhz I can get internet speedtest of 30 Mbps, this is on a wired connection, on wifi am getting around 14 Mbps

Does anyone know if this router has speed limitations, I thought the ports on the back were 100MB ports?

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I strongly suspect that it is the router. Google has lots of people asking the same question.

One thing to be aware of with routers is that the port speed (100megabit per second or 1Gbps) very rarely is the bottleneck. The router itself has to process all those packets passing through it, so it's CPU/ASICs/firmware/RAM etc all affect the speed. If you have NAT running, then it also has to process that. If you have firewall rules, then it needs to deal with that as well.

So although your ports might be rated 100 Mbps, the actual throughput of the router is likely somewhere between 10Mbps and 100Mbps.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    jasonmadrug84jasonmadrug84 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

It says it's a 54 Mbps router and you said your internet is 75 Mbps. For WiFi, yes, it looks like you'd be under utilizing you internet connection.
    If you're using the 100 Mbps ports on the back and are hardwired, you'll do just fine.

-Jason
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you get the same speeds when you connect your computer directly to your cable modem?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's your environment look like? You could have the fastest Wi-Fi in the world, but toss in a couple walls and other interference, and your connection speed is gonna take a hit. I had issues with my Wi-Fi at home until I started installing more than one AP in the house.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Even if you buy a cheap TP Link off Amazon you'll get much better throughput
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got a WRT54G running DD-WRT that's running as a wireless bridge in the kid's room. That 14Mbps sounds about right.