Options

How far down the CCNA R/S learning track am I with Network+??

sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
Hello, I have been right through Keith Barker/Kevin Wallace Cert Guide for Network+ N10-006 and also through all the Professor Messer's Network+ training course online. I want to keep going forward now and study on for the CCNA R/S exam, not going to sit the Network+ exam as I feel it would be obsolete as soon as a pass CCNA and thus nearly £200 burnt.

Anyway, was just wondering in your respected opinions how far down the CCNA study track I am having already gone through the Network+ stuff mentioned above?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ccna is an extension of a lot of the layer 2 and layer 3 protocols learned in the new net plus (n10-006). Net plus has a vast amount of material and certain parts of the net plus are revisited but way more in depth in ccna. The key difference is net plus is theory, ccna is theory and applying theory via cli. Topics like subnetting, vlans, link state, distance vector, ospf, osi and layer 1 2, and 3 protocols are covered in both. I got the net plus and I'm studying for the ccna. I would say just dive right into ccna.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The knowledge of the Net+ will apply to the CCNA, but how far down the track you are depends on your comfort level and how much you retain from the Net+ studies. I personally never took the Net+, but I helped a friend study for the Net+ and used the depth of the CCNA material to explain some concepts to him in a way that was easier to understand than his material. I don't think the CCNA material veers too far away from what the Net+ teaches, but as you learn more and more you'll encounter some concepts that seem to be contradictory to what you have learned so far...for example, some switches work at every layer of the OSI model, not just Layer 2. You'll get into that later though.

In addition to the theory of the CCNA, you also will need to learn how to bend Cisco devices to your will through CLI, as Phillies stated. The exam will have some simulation scenarios where you will not only need to know what to do, but also how to do it. You can't go back to previous questions on the CCNA exam, so use the verification commands on these scenarios before proceeding because once you hit "Next", your answers are locked.

There is a lot more for you to do, but having gone through the Net+ material will provide a platform to understand what is to come.
  • Options
    zzyzzzzyzz Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently taking the Cisco's Net Academy class and the N10-006 seems to cover only the CCNA1 course. So far some of the differences between the N10-006 N+ and the CCENT/CCNA (that I noticed) is that the Cisco test is very heavy into subnetting and Cisco's CLI. You'll need to understand how the various "show" commands work and how to use them to troubleshoot various scenarios.

I found that having studied and passing the N+ gave me a good "base" for the CCENT/CCNA.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N10-005 seemed to be about 70% of the CCENT.

but no comparison to the 200-101...